Team Chevelle banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of breaking all my suspension pieces down for blasting/powdercoating. While removing the rivets for the front upper ball joint, I enlarged one of the rivet holes by carelessly drilling the rivets out. How big of a deal might this be? I would like to reuse the arm if not a safety issue.

·
Premium Member
27,555 Posts
Shouldn't be a problem...replacement ball joints are retained with 3 bolts (not rivets).
EDIT...FOUR BOLTS retain the ball joint. I don't read what I type too well, I guess. :eek:
Thanks Glenn for bring this error to my attention! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
18,902 Posts
the big center hole actually holds the balljoint in place, the bolts just keep it from falling out.

·
Premium Member
1,374 Posts
What I would do is use the normal grade 8 bolts that come with your replacement ball joint on the holes that were not enlarged, and use a larger grade 8 bolt on the hole that was enlarged. You will have to enlarge the hole on the ball joint and the boot retainer to do this. Make sure you enlarge the right hole. All though there is no real pressure on the ball joint in the up and down movement there is a great deal of pressure when cornering (side to side). I would want there to be as little possible movement in the ball joint as possible.:waving:

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
I would weld the hole or holes up that are to large then locate the ball joint with one bolt and clamp and use the ball joint as a template to drill the remaining holes .The post before mine would be ok too.

·
Premium Member
1,374 Posts
Welding the hole up and redrilling is a good idea. Becareful as the weld will be harder then the surrounding metal and the drill will want to drift.:waving:

·
Premium Member
3,164 Posts
I wouldn't do anything to the hole until you actually get the replacement joint and accompanying bolts. Some of the replacement kits come with oversize bolts to compensate for issues like yours. If the new bolts are oversize, you'll need to drill all the holes out anyway. OLDED

·
Registered
18,902 Posts
the cheap Asian balljoints that most companies put in their front end rebuild kits come with metric bolts that are slightly bigger than the 5/16" bolts your car is supposed to have.
and, for future reference- don't use a drill to take out the rivets. use a grinder to grind the heads of the rivets off, then push the rivets out with a punch.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts