Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered new urethane upper and lower control arm bushings. I have full access to hydraulic presses at the machine shop. So what kind of nightmare am I looking at to replace them? Any tricks to getting the old ones out and to get the new ones in? I'm going to glass bead both uppers and lowers while they are out and repaint after the bushings are in. Any info will be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
I guess you mean the fronts.

To get the lowers out I just took a shop hammer and a big chisel and crushed/cut them out with the control arm laying on a block of wood. Of course you have to get the old rubber out of the shell first. A few holes through the rubber with a 3/8" drill worked great.

To get the uppers out I used a tip from a fellow TCer. An air hammer. "Vibrated" them out in about 20 seconds each. It wouldn't work on my lowers though. Those suckers were in there.

For installation I cleaned up the holes with emery cloth. I then cut some "jigs" from a length of old 2" exhaust pipe. I split the pipe in half and cut pieces to fit between each opening so the control arm wouldn't be bent when I pounded the new sleeves in place.

I have presses too, but it was easier to hammer the new sleeves in place with a block of wood on them than to set up the press for it.

------------------
My Elky Page (updated 3-31-01)
"Think for yourself. Don't let popular opinion make your decisions for you."
Chad Landry
TC Member #643
ACES Member #04556
'68 El Camino

·
Registered
200 Posts
I found a ball joint press works well to press them in. Be sure to put something inside the channel of the arm so you don't collapse the arm.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
I got mine out with a cutting torch.
Must be careful to not nick the A frames though.
Put them in with a large bench vise and a spacer to go in between the sides of the Aframe.

Dave

·
Gold Founding Member
10,971 Posts
Easiest way is to LEAVE THE SHELLS IN THE CONTROLL ARMS. Remove the rubber insert and the center sleeve by burning the rubber with a torch. Install the Poly bushings with new center sleeves into the original shells after you've cleaned them up. No press, no distortion, no problem.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Drill the rubber out with a drill bit and then knock it out. Then, assemble a hacksaw with the blade passing through the hole and cut the surrounding metal sleeve. The sleeve then will come out easy. It is a lot of work but not particularly difficult, just time consuming.

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Ken,

All of the ways listed here will work as I have at one time or another performed some variation of these acts. On the last set I replaced I bit the bullet and got an actual set of Blocks and the C-Clamp Press that is designed for bushing removal.

It took me about 20 minutes to take all the old bushings and the ball joints out and about 30 minutes to put them all back in. See if you have a buddy that has these tools he can loan you. The right tools make all the difference in the world.

Good Luck,

Bill

·
Registered
543 Posts
I used a vise, craftsman socket and pipe nipple. preseed bushings in same way. but I did take them down to have ball joints pressed in

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
The lowers will pop right out if you support the arm in a vise opened far enough to let the bushing drop through and hit it with a BFH from the inside. I recently did a 64 Chevelle and it took about 2 minutes to get the bushings out. I worked my way through college at Auto Suspension Company in Phoenix in the 1970's when almost all cars had suspensions like these.

------------------
67 Nova 385" daily driver - 12.1 @ 112
64 Chevelle Road Racer in the works
67 Nova Wagon under construction

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.