Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rebuilt my 396 and after installation it leaked oil. It leaked before, but it was old. After a while I decided it was the rear main seal, so I yanked the engine and put in a new one. I re-installed it and it still leaks oil, in all the same places. My bet is that the rear main wasnt leaking before and its what ever is leaking now. My question is that what could be leaking? Appears o be on drivers side, Not timing cover,not valve covers, not intake, either oil pressure unit, oil filter, or am I missing something? Please help because I refuse t drive it until it has no leaks. Thanks

------------------

·
Registered
35 Posts
It could be the rear seal. Did you use sealer when you installed the new seal?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I use sealer and the rear seal was a high dollar unit. The guy who rebuilt the engine put it in and said that it did not look like it was leaking in the first place. We also suspected the rear cam plug but it too looked dry.

------------------

·
Registered
171 Posts
This may not be your leak but it bears looking into. There are two tapped holes to the left of the damper beside the fuel pump. The top hole is tapped all the way into the fuel pump pushrod hole. If there isn't a bolt in this hole oil can (and will) leak out of the block. I had an oil leak here until I finally figured out where it was coming from. I have seen many motors without a bolt in this hole; some leak oil worse than others. Just make sure the bolt is short enough so it doesn't hit the fuel pump pushrod.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I remember a previous post about an additive that you can add to your oil that will show up under a black light. You might want to try this approach to find the leak.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
This may be no consolation but its unusual for one to not leak. Thats always was a Chevy complaint, oil leaks. I rebuilt the 327 in my 64 and used all the best components and we put it together trying to ensure it would not leak. 500 miles later there a leak at the front pan to timing cover. The felpro gaskets were touted to stop these leaks. I dare say that every Chevy I have ever owned prior to 1989 has a oil leak, over 20 car and trucks.

[This message has been edited by elcamino (edited 07-23-99).]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.