Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any repairmen lurking around here?

My gas dryer quit yesterday, it will be replaced seeing as it's a 1977 model. Dishwasher quit today. Relatively new, runs, makes all the right noises, but nothing is clean.

Help!

Devin

·
Premium Member
3,595 Posts
Devin, I suspect no conspiracy involved here. You got your money's worth out of the dryer.

Regarding the dishwasher, do you have hard water? Check to see if the spray bars are spinning free and check the orifices for blockage. Are they turning? Note the position on cycle start and finish.

·
Premium Member
12,730 Posts
Devin, what is wrong with the dryer? Depending on what that is I would consider fixing. The new stuff is not made like the old stuff. My washer and dryer are probably 25 years old. When my gas dryer had a hiccup 15 years ago my wife said "let's just get a new one" well I fixed it myself for $15.00 in parts. Since then I have fixed the washing machine no less than 3 times. The new stuff is made to last for 5 years then throw away.:yes:
An Internet search is your friend here.

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
nothing is clean
Some units have a soap dispenser compartment on the door that opens
during the wash cycle. They are known to fail after several years of use.
When this happens, everything appears normal except the dishes don't
get clean. Check to see if it is open when the cycle ends.

·
Premium Member
2,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just got back from town to buy a new dryer. The manifold that supplies gas quit in the old one, and a replacement was over $200. The timer had quit on the delicate cycle recently as well. I bought it 15-20 years ago used. I got my use out of it, I'm not upset.

The dishwasher on the other hand is a Kenmore, only a couple of years old. Ran it after dinner last night and other than water being on the tops of glasses and such, it looked like it didn't run at all. Normally it gets the dishes really clean. I ran it again this morning, thinking we'd forgotten to add soap. Dishes were still dirty, like just eaten off of, not water spots. Wife is trying it on a different cycle now, but I suspect the dishes will still be dirty. It was a sudden change, not a slow build up. I'll be looking at it again in a couple of hours when it's done. Tried internet searches, but they all led to water spots which is not my issue.

Devin

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
i hope you have good luck with your new dryer. i just fixed my washer i bought for 50 bucks last week. the parts guy told me the same thing i keep hearing. new appliances unless some industrial model are cheap junk

·
Premium Member
9,056 Posts
Before you buy a new dishwasher try these guys.
www.repairclinic.com
they're real knowledgeable and offer free repair help.Have your serial and model number ready is all it takes.Over the years I used them to repair my dishwasher,refridgerator and dryer.

Reactions: Bow_Tied

·
Registered
Super Awesome Guy who rarely logs on
5,018 Posts
Please make sure to clean out the sediment filter at the bottom of the dishwasher, too.

People change the oil and filter on their cars all the time but never check the sediment filter in the bottom of their dishwashers...:clonk::waving:

·
Premium Member
17,566 Posts
our dryer is nearly 30 years old. Its an electric version, and I have kind of been waiting for it to die so I could replace with a gas version (house has the gas stub). The thing just soldiers on... Probably 6-8 loads per week...

The dial/timer does have a dead spot, but a replacement was around $100, so I haven't changed it... No other issues... It was my mom's for about 10 years, and then she "upgraded" to a front-loader (unhappy with those, and she has gone through several since she gave it to us back in 1998). The first 10 years, mom probably did 12-15 loads a week...

Mom gave us the washer at the same time, and it went out after about 6 years (16+ years old)... The wife wanted new, and I wasn't familiar with repairs, not much internet stuff, so we bought a new one... I later found it was the lid switch... I sold it on Craigslist for $50, and showed it worked when I bypassed the switch... Ironically, my mother told me that she had given me a new switch with some other stuff several years before it "broke"... Could have been a "free" fix...

·
Premium Member
5,217 Posts
Apparently my refrigerator decided to join your conspiracy tonight!

·
Boldly procrastrinating
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
29,332 Posts
They're everywhere!! Trust no-one!!!

·
Premium Member
2,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
A week and a half later with a significantly lighter wallet there is a new dryer in the garage and a new circuit board in the dishwasher and everything is back to functioning normally.

Devin

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
I have all Kenmore appliances, only three years old. Have had all of them repaired so far except the cooktop. I keep the repair contracts on all of them. On the dishwasher, glad it's working. Usually when our dishes don't clean, it's because something was too tall, or something was sticking through the rack causing the sprayer not to spin....

·
Premium Member
5,217 Posts
Have a new Whirlpool fridge that looks exactly like the Roper it replaced. Only one in Lowes that would fit the hole. Different stickers and the old shelves don't fit so we could not have an extra.

But beer is cold again.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts