Team Chevelle banner

console shifter slider

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  blm 
#1 ·
I recently swapped from bench to buckets in my 69ss. It has M21 with hurst 4 speed. the console only has front supports for the shifter slider. So the shifter slider just flops around when shifting. I know there should be two plastic rear supports but I can't find where they are missing from. Anyone have any pics detailed enough to show the slider supports? Any suggestions?
Thanks Brad

#2 ·
blm,

I'm interested in how the 4-spd shift slider is mounted also. Haven't figured it out yet. Hopefully someone will reply soon. Assy manual doesn't really help out.

#4 ·
When the slider is used like in my 68, the tunnel is not used. The slider,slides on a front and rear bracket that is built into the console. Then the top plate goes on top of the slider to stop it from coming up and falling out. It's not the best set-up that G.M. ever came up with because it scratches the shifter is noisy. Seem like a half a$$ set-up, but it's original so I went for it. If anyone needs pics. let me know and I'll post one...

#5 ·
71SSBB
I believe I am missing the rear bracket that you mentioned. There is nothing to support the aft portion of the slider. The funny thing is I cant seem to find where the rear bracket is missing from the console. A picture showing the rear bracket would help.

#6 ·
71SSBB
I forgot to mention I did not attempt to use a tunnel. I could be wrong but I believe the tunnel is for a 70/71 set up.

#7 ·
I could not find any use for the Dust Tunnel on my 69' either. :confused:
Factory assy manual does not show a Dust Tunnel. OPG shows a Dust Tunnel 68' thru 72'. Guess they got me fo 29 bucks. :rolleyes:

#9 ·
71SSBB
Thanks for the console picture you posted. on my console the two rear tabs are missing completely,without seeing your post you could never tell they were supposed to be there. To repair I think I will have to move them rearward approx 3/4 inch and attach new tabs to the large U shaped potion of the console. If anyone has done this type of repair before and has any good ideas please let me know. My first thought was to attach two metal angle brackets to the U shaped piece for the slider to ride on. Think this will tear up the slider too much?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.