Chevelles.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had the shifter on my 70 Chevelle moved from the column to the floor. I think the shop that installed the shifter and console may have installed the console to far aft.

When the car is in park the shifter handle is abeam the front of the driver and passenger seats and moves between the seats when I put the car in drive. I am also not happy with the reproduction console they used (OPG). The console is very flimsy and top plate and dial does not fit well together.

I have decided to dump the reproduction and pick up a new console from True Connections in Riverside, CA. I stopped by their shop the other day and checked them out. The consoles they sell are originals which have been restored. They look great and all the parts fit perfectly.

I am going to tackle the project next weekend and thought I better check in with some of you guys that have already made the swap. I haven’t started to remove the console the shop installed so I have a couple questions.

• I know I will have to drill new holes in the floor plan to reposition the shifter. How do I tell where the new holes should be located to properly position the console and shifter?

• Will I have to remove the transmission in order be able to get nuts on the bolts that secure the shifter or is the floor pan thick enough to support self tapping bolts/screws to hold it down?

• Any thoughts on how to patch the holes in the floor pan that will be left behind once I move the shifter, I don’t have a welder.

If any of you guys have pictures of the various stages of installation when you installed your console and shifter that would really help or, maybe I could beg you to take a picture of your console so I can get an idea of the correct position of a properly installed console and shifter.

If you can help me out with the pictures, please use the following email address: [email protected]t .

Thanks
Brad Howard
1970 Chevelle SS Clone
BB 402

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi everyone, I just joined this forum and have a 1970 chevelle malibu. I plan on making it an SS clone and I need to move the shifter from the column to the floor. What all will I need to do this? thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tom and Phil:
I can't thank you guys enought for taking your time and sending me the pictures. Quite frankly I would be lost with out this forum and guys like you willing to share information.

Thanks again
Brad Howard

·
Registered
458 Posts
Actually, I just picked up an original shifter and console. I'll be doing the change as soon as possible (maybe this weekend). Can you guys send me the info as well? My email is [email protected]

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
Originally posted by SinSeven:
Hi everyone, I just joined this forum and have a 1970 chevelle malibu. I plan on making it an SS clone and I need to move the shifter from the column to the floor. What all will I need to do this? thanks for the help.
Will this be a standard or automatic ? Will you have a console ? Buckets or bench ?

·
Registered
458 Posts
Mine's going to be an auto tranny (turbo 400) and the standard "strato" buckets.
It was a column shift with the original bench.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I want an automatic, with console and bucket seats. Right now it has the shifter on the column, a 3 speed, and it has a bench seat.

*how come we dont get an email notification whenever a reply is posted?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I AM ALSO CONVERTING A MALIBU INTO A SS CLONE. ANY HELP I COULD GET ON THE INSTALLATION AND HOOKUP OF THE FLOOR CONSOLE WOULD BE APPRECIATED

·
Registered
11 Posts
DO you still have the install instructions? I would appreciate any help I can get. I can't find any could pic/install info.

Thanks. Mike

1 - 11 of 11 Posts