Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 69 chevelle with a factory 4 speed console a buckets.

I was wondering if anyone has picts of a factory 4 speed no console and buckets.

I am thinking of getting rid of the console.

Plus I would have to change the hump and shifter if i decied to do away with the console correct.

Thanks Stephen

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Originally posted by stephenmarshall:

Plus I would have to change the hump and shifter if i decied to do away with the console correct.

Thanks Stephen
You would have to change the hump if you wanted to maintain a stock shifter boot appearance. If you were going with some type of aftermarket shifter setup you might not need to.

Stephen, if you decide to do away with the console drop me an e-mail if you are interested in selling it. I am in the process of swapping from bench to buckets in my car.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Stephen,
There is no need to replace the shifter hump, unless as Jeff stated, you want the look of a factory installed non-console floor shifter. The console setup obviously uses a different shifter boot and boot retaining ring than the non-console setup. Re-paint the ring, or have it chrome plated and it should look great.
No need to replace the shifter either. Only the shifter handle. And again, that is only if you want the look of the factory no console setup.
If you want to eliminate the console because it is broken, or missing parts, or something like that... you may want to consider that once you total up the cost of of a new shift hump, boot, boot retainer, shifter handle, shifter ball, and carpet, then factor in your time and labor to remove the old hump, weld in a new one, and remove the console mounting bracket, it may be much more cost effective to just buy a new console.
Good luck,
Patrick

·
Registered
667 Posts
Just curious, why would you want to lose the console?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The reason I was thinking of getting rid of the console is just I really never liked the way it looked and I am starting to do a full restoration to the car .

The console is in perfect shape but I think I was looking for a new look but I think with the rest of the car repainted and so on (and the 2 years I think it will take me to finish) will make it new to me again.

Thanks for all the advice

1 - 7 of 7 Posts