Chevelles.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have acquired console from a '70 Monte(automatic) that I plan to put in my '69 that has a 4-speed Muncie with Hurst shifter. Does the console need any special mounting brackets or does it just attach to the floorpan? It appears the bracket in the middle of console would attach okay, however, the front bracket sits up from the floorpan about 1 to 1 1/2 inches. Thanks for your thoughts or experiences...

·
Registered
543 Posts
check your email, I sent a picture of a factory console floor (70 but I will bet it the same in this topic). The bracket is at the rear of the console behind the shifter. They sent me a new bracket with the new (repro) console

·
Premium Member
3,400 Posts
John,

My 69 has a console and it only has one mounting bracket welded to the floor pan, at the rear (under the console compartment). At the other two mounting points, it bolts right to the floor pan. As best as I can tell, that's the way it came from the factory.

------------------
Bill Pritchard
69 SS396 Convertible
"Life is short; eat dessert first." - Ogden Nash
My low tech web page

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey guys, thanks much. I believe this will really help in getting my console in. On the Hurst shifter I had to heat and put in a dogleg to the right about 2". I believe with the addition of a rear bracket we may be in business. Thanks again Bill and leeds. I will let you know how it works out and any other tweaks I may have to make. Bill this is your second time in helping to bail me out. What a team!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,406 Posts
John,

Please note: The shifter hump for a console car is different than just a 4 speed no console car. Then the bracket in the back is required as Leeds and Bill have noted.
I originaly had a bench seat 4 speed car and when I converted to buckets with console I had to change the shifter hump. I also had to modify the shifter to center it in the console as you mentioned.

------------------
FastSS396Man
Brian

Fastss396, Fastss396,Fastss396,
Fastss396,Fastss396,Fastss396,Fastss396,Fastss396,Fastss396,Fastss396
69' SS396 Chevelle
L78 396/375hp
M-21 Close Ratio
Cortez Silver
10 year Resto
It's brand new again!
02' Harley FatBoy, Diamond Ice Pearl.

·
Premium Member
1,406 Posts
John,

You can also buy the necessary parts to convert the auto console to 4 spd. They just unbolt and bolt in.

Brian
FastSS396Man

1 - 6 of 6 Posts