Chevelles.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just swapped columns and installed a console shifter into my 70. I bought and installed the extension harness and neutral safety switch for the floor shifter. The car will start regardless of the position of my shifter. How does the switch work? I noticed a stub off from the shifter itself rides directly below the switch. Is the switch supposed to move? Any info would be appreciated. Oh this is for an automatic.
Rob

·
Premium Member
2,002 Posts
I believe the internals of the switch are supposed to move when you move the shifter
You could try to move the switch by hand and see if it starts in all gears, this may help you find out if the switch is working or not
I do remember having to adjust the switch in relation to moving the shifter to line up gear selector readings and when backup lights were coming on and off.Hope this info can help

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, I figured out what I did last night when I took it back out to reveal the tab.

I got it in right, but now the car will only start with the shifter in the neutral position, not in park. I think I may have damaged the contacts when I had it in the first time. Does the switch that was previously on the column fit in the horseshoe shifter? Will it hurt to run it with it the way it is now?
Rob
EDIT: Just pulled switch=PIA, I must have jammed it and broken it internally, it won't work, also steering column switch won't mount up to the shifter, I might try and put the column switch into the column and keep the tranny linkage attached to the column.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts