Team Chevelle banner

Console harness wiring

436 5
I’m doing a little more work cleaning up the wiring under the dash of my 72 Chevelle. I came across this connector that goes under the carpet to the console. I can’t find a connector anywhere else under the dash that this matches up to. I’m pretty sure it is the wiring for the back lighting of the console but am not sure how to wire this. Appreciate any help on this and how to wire it back into the harness.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,799 Posts
That is indeed the feed for the console.

White = switched ground from the door jamb switch circuit to turn on the rear seat separator lamp at the rear of the console.
Orange=fused battery constant power from the courtesy circuit to provide constant power to the rear seat separator lamp at the rear of the console.
Grey=dash light circuit. Dims with the rest of the dash lights and provides power for the shift indicator plate lights (for an automatic).

If there is truly is no mating connector apart of the dash harness, there is a possibility the car left the factory with no console and the console was added at a later time.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Coppertop. This is very helpful. I do think mine came from the factory with a console because the wiring for the neutral safety switch and backup light harness is all there and connected (mine is an automatic with the horseshoe shifter). I think maybe in prior work done on the car the corresponding connector for the console lights somehow was cutoff. I’ll do some more hunting around for cutoff leads that I can re connect.
If I don’t have any luck finding the old leads, is there a good place to tap in and re connect these? I see the white wire coming from the door jamb and assume I can just splice the white wire there. Not sure on the orange and gray ones where I can tap into. Appreciate any suggestions you might have. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,799 Posts
Yes, if you want simply make your own connections without having to spend $ on harnesses….you can make spices.
Tap into either white wire feeding the driver or passenger side door pin switch for the white switched ground connection.

The orange wire can be connected to the “BAT” lug on the fuse block, or the orange wire feeding the run of wires that run under the carpet to the trunk or a convenient orange wire like the one feeding the cigarette lighter.

The gray wire can be connected into the “LPS” lug on the fuseblock or any convenient gray wire feeding the dash lights. Many people simply tap into the radio harness feed which contains a gray wire.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Coppertop. Yes at this point I think it’s just easier to splice and make my own connections. I really appreciate your taking time to help me out. Thanks again for your help! Bob

1 - 6 of 6 Posts