Chevelles.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am restoring a 1970 El Camino and it just has a bench seat in it but I would like to put in buckets and a console. Are the Aftermarket Consoles very nice? Also is it very hard to install the console? Is the linkage hard to change? I have another question also, is a console out of a chevelle the same as one from a El Camino? I would appreciate it if someone would answer my questions.

Thanks,
David

[This message has been edited by 70elcamino (edited 02-04-2001).]

·
Registered
543 Posts
Well I don't know about El Camino, but I used one of the new console kits in my Chevelle. The lens (green letterin P-R-N-3-2-1) didn't look right, so I used the original. Had to drill holes for the screws that hold the door on, but it came out fine. you may have to find the console lock assembly and hinge. the hard part is the shifter (think camaro used the same shifter but maybe hard to find), transmission cable and wiring harness. Did El Camino use the same console, I don't know.

[This message has been edited by leeds (edited 02-06-2001).]

·
Premium Member
2,645 Posts
Yes, Elcaminos take the same console. The aftermarket consoles are fine except as noted in the last post. Mine didn't come with the latch and so I drove around without a lid for a while and liked it that way, it makes for a great cup holder. I still haven't put the lid on and probably won't.

------------------
Elcaminos are special!

I'd rather walk around with a Chevrolet hubcap in my hand than drive a Ford

work in progress
Big James Elky(AKA Ol Paint)
another shot of Ol Paint

·
Registered
543 Posts
there is a new post that the horseshoe shifters are being reproduced, you maybe able to get a new shifter
"Got an info card from O.P.G. saying they now sell a repop of the original floor shifter.Part #C210900 On sale until 3-15 for 169.95 This is NOT an endorsement for them!" thanks ace

[This message has been edited by leeds (edited 02-06-2001).]

·
Registered
244 Posts
I see the shifters at every swap meet I go to. Also on ebay almost always. $50 should buy you a nice one for a driver.
The Camaro shifter handle is the same, but the assembly mounting bracket is different.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts