Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm converting 69 automatic from column to console. The shifter has a neutral safety switch. Do I remove the wires from the NS switch on the column and redirect them with jumper wires to the console's switch? Or can I just tap (with one of those T-shaped crimp-on connectors) into each wire, leaving the column NS switch intact?

I'm not going to replace the column right now, and I'd like to maintain the safety switch, as well as the column key-locking feature and the back-up lamps. Thanks.
John

·
Registered
720 Posts
There are wiring harnesses available to wire into the console. It comes with the console lighting circuit and the NS and Bu switch connections. Check with any of the parts suppliers. Its an easy wiring job, harness was a little spendy imo though.
Rob

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, my dash harnesses don't have that all-important connector for a future console, so I figure that I'm going to have to use jumpers and build my own harness to the console.

·
Registered
720 Posts
For about $40 there is a "Console Ext. Harness" for 69-72 with Auto trans. This harness will plug into your existing wiring harness under the dash. Then the other end plugs into your console harness. Keeps everything neat and clean with solid connections.
Otherwise you can splice all you want.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts