Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I cut the original NSS and RS connectors off my console harness in order to splice on female ends for a B&M Quick Silver shifter connector, is there a way I can purchase the connectors that the harness connects to? Was thinking I could make a wire with a female connector for the B&M NSS/RS connection on one end and have the part that connects to the stock console harness on the other end...... I can send pics if not clear on what I am asking.....thanks

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I know what you are wanting to do as I have done it many times when I'm installing car audio and I don't want to cut any original wiring on the car. I have too, robbed connectors and such from another plug to where I can make an adaptor or conversion plug and if I cannot get a housing for it, I have slipped on some heat shrink tube on each individual terminal and then looped the wires back onto the original wires and added a zip tie or two so the connection is not easily pulled apart.

I do not know what the connectors you have already in the car but post a decent resolution picture and maybe get an idea, if the connector terminal is flat about how wide it is or what dimension the terminal might have.

I have ordered packard type connectors like below but again, I don't know what you have, so post some pictures or a link to them.

https://www.delcity.net/productsearch?search=packard 56

Jim

·
Premium Member
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
here is what i have......
so I need to buy connectors that can plug into the three black connectors in first pic......then I will put the blue connectors on the other end and connect them to the yellow switches....

Attachments

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
OK, if all you are trying to do is build a console harness, then just buy male spade connectors. They will fit right into the black connectors on the dash harness side.

·
Premium Member
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Gents! Will look for the connectors locally tomorrow - not having luck with on line searches of local parts stores, but will see if DelCity or Kwikwire are open tomorrow too. Much prefer this route over cutting brand new connectors.... THANKS AGAIN

·
Administrator
16,207 Posts
You just need some standard 1/4" male spade connectors. Available at local parts stores, stereo shops, Wal Mart, etc. Connect a wire to the terminal and slide some shrink wrap on the connector to insulate from shorting.

This is a harness I made to connect the floor dimmer wires to the column dimmer on my wagon. Did not want to cut the connector.

·
Premium Member
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Phillip - thanks for the pic and info

Greatest Site on Earth!! Thanks all!! Got my mission orders for the day now....

·
Premium Member
4,478 Posts
Make sure you make very good connections--especially on the neutral safety switch connections (purples), due to the current draw and most of all for reliability.

·
Premium Member
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Great stuff - thanks! I wound up getting the 1/4" male spades, putting a female connector on the other end, heat shrank and taped each end.....then I took the original wires out of the plastic housings, leaving the connection in tact, put the male spade into the original connector, heat shrunk it, then taped it. I feel really good about it.....made the wires between the original connectors and the NS/RS switches a little long, but not that bad. will upload pic tomorrow.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts