Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Both of my clocks in my 66 and 67 consoles don't work. My friend has 3 66's and none of his console clocks work either I guess its not uncommon anyway I was wondering is any one knew what it is that makes these things crap out. I have tried replacing the fuse in both cars only thing that did was make my lighter work (oh goodie I don't smoke). what else should I do or look for? I looked at the wiring and it looks good and so does the connection. I saw that OPG has a quartz conversion for around $50. how hard is this to install? Has anyone done this conversion?

Thanks for the help

Hot66ss

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sorry 66, but I can't help you with the answer. However, I too am interested in a remedy to this problem as my clock has read 3:04 since I bought the car! It would be nice to have it work again.

winos64SS

·
Premium Member
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just hope theres a cure out there.

Hot66ss

·
Administrator
3,376 Posts
What I have found with these is they are an electro/mechanical arrangement. When the spring runs down, a set of contact points close that winds them back up again. These are just like points in a distributor and get pitted. Usually a file job will fix them up, but ultimately they will fail again. The quartz conversions work but are not 'correct' as the second hand sweeps rather than ticks... minor point, but someone has to bring it up.
I personally think an extremely low battery is the demise of these as once the battery is almost dead the points just sizzle. At some point almost every 66 or 67 has sat until the battery completely drained.

---
that's my story..

·
Premium Member
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so i should just file it. how would pitting be a problem? it does not need to make a spark just a connection.

------------------
Thanks for the help

Hot66ss

66 ss
67 malibu

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
If both the light and the clock do not work look for a rusty ground connection where the black lead connects to the floor under the console.Touching the clock housing with a good ground will test it.

Rene
66-malibu

·
Premium Member
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nope the light works good. speaking of lights how could i make my dash light brighter? i have them turned all the way up and still look dim.

NOW a member

------------------
Thanks for the help

Hot66ss

66 ss
67 malibu

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.