Team Chevelle banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am mounting the console back in my 70 chevelle and according to the assembly manual there is bracket assembly that bolts to the floor pan in the center of the console. This is a 4-speed car and I cannot find in any catalogs any mention of such a part. Any help would be appreciated. I have purchased the bracket for the rear of the console but it is the center bracket assembly that has me looking.

·
Premium Member
5,945 Posts
On the automatic set up, I think the center bracket would be the shifter itself that has to mounting holes for the consol. I hope I'm correct, mine is going back in after being out for over 5 months. In case of the 4 sp, I would think there should be a second bracket :confused:

This is from ground up. looks like front, middle and rear bracket for all consoles.
CONSOLE MOUNTING BRACKET 1968-72 CHEVELLE & EL CAMINO
Code: IM-2915
Price: $19.99

·
Registered
707 Posts
I'll be doing a 70 model soon so I guess I am fixing to find out...wish I could help...seems to me there is the piece for the tongue in the back...another bracket just behind the shifter hole and the bracket in the front...just like the pic above ^^^

·
Registered
872 Posts
For a 4-speed car, specifically a 68-72 Chevelle, there is only one console mounting bracket... the one at the rear of the console. The front of the console screws directly to the floor (hump).
Similarly, for an automatic car, there is only one console mounting bracket per se. The same bracket as mentioned above. The assembly manual may be a bit misleading, in that the auto console actually has additional mounting points to the horseshoe shifter base, that is bolted to the floor (hump). I suppose it can then be referred to as a center console mounting bracket, but not really.
Either way, you only need one bracket to mount a four-speed console to a 1970 Chevelle.
Hope this helps...
Patrick

·
Premium Member
5,945 Posts
Well, this info helps me, as my console is about ready to go back in, after months out.
But I do remember taking 2 screws out of the console from the top rear of the auto shifter assy.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for your help, but the picture I was looking at is in section D55 and sheet A2 of the assemblu manual tha I have. In the lower center it shows the bracket asm. I am refering to.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.