Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tired of paying to watch commercials and tired of re runs and other useless infomercial BS. Getting in the mood to cancel the monthly bill. What are the best alternatives?
Thanks...

·
Premium Member
4,277 Posts
ATT"S Uverse is the big thing around here.

We like it and it's priced fairly when bundled in with our phone and internet.

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
If you don't care about sports you could go with Netflix and Amazon Prime then stream local news. Fox and ABC make their network shows available after a one week delay on their websites. You can also find many pirated shows on YouTube.

Steve R

·
Premium Member
12,731 Posts
Well I have a fairly substantial cable package, however if I were ever to dump it I would go all the way to just an antenna. That is what we had at work until the higher ups decided that a television was in appropriate and banned the TV all together. We got maybe 25 channels and was always able to find something to watch. We did have a good dvd collection in addition. Best part about the antenna is it is free. You will find it quite easy to adjust by most likely not watching as much TV.

·
Premium Member
7,053 Posts

·
Boldly procrastrinating
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
29,332 Posts
That G-box thing is interesting but it's a standard Ethernet device. You still have to have a cable modem or DSL connection or some other type of broadband connectivity. I'm interested in getting rid of my cable connection.

·
Premium Member
1,022 Posts
I cut the uverse and all I have ever now is Netflix, Amazon and the internet. Bout 65.00 a month.
Cut out 150.00 a month that that way..
I miss, somethings, not fox news or cnn but I do miss velocity. I got tired of watching g the same Ole crap.
I mean, overhauling, comon, that show cost me 20k on my restification..glad I did it, but damnit I was happy ...now I look at everything on my car.
I've become a clean freak and no, the car isn't finished, nor will ever be!
Thanks Chip!!

Cut the cord...

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I've never had cable tv or satellite so I don't miss it. I even took down the antenna last summer as nobody watched ota tv anymore. We have netflix now and watch a lot.

·
Premium Member
1968 Malibu sport coupe, 489 ci. 590 hp 600 tq, RV T-400 Freakshow 3200 stall, 3.73 12 bolt posi
8,740 Posts
I'v spoke with 3 people on this subject, a const co foreman, and 2 customers of mine that have cut the cord and went with antennas, the foreman went through a few ant. untill he found this and hes very happy so I'm thinking on it, Antop AT-414B UFO, it's just under $100 but supposed to be worth every penny, the 2 other people had giant looking antennas that basically did the same thing as the UFO. And I have a game console for when the kids come over and also get Netflix on it and a Google Dongle to get Amazon prime movies and Youtube.

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
stupid commercials about some medicine you have to ask your dr about or a car that stops and parallel parks for you plus all the mind numbing stupid shows finally convinced me to drop cable. i watch some pbs shows like nova or smerican experience and thats it except baseball and football where i turn the sound off during the 10 minute commercial breaks

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
I'v spoke with 3 people on this subject, a const co foreman, and 2 customers of mine that have cut the cord and went with antennas, the foreman went through a few ant. untill he found this and hes very happy so I'm thinking on it, Antop AT-414B UFO, it's just under $100 but supposed to be worth every penny, the 2 other people had giant looking antennas that basically did the same thing as the UFO. And I have a game console for when the kids come over and also get Netflix on it and a Google Dongle to get Amazon prime movies and Youtube.
Your antenna selection is based on where you live vs. where the broadcasting towers are. Unless your 3 people are neighbors, their needs could be different than yours. Here is a handy tool RCA has : RCA Antennas : Antenna Finder Even if you don't like the RCA offerings, it still gives an idea of what you should be looking for. No need for overkill.

·
Premium Member
4,277 Posts

·
Gold Founding Member
64,100 Posts
We have Time Warner connected to four TVs, paying for a couple of thousand channels but only watch about eight or so.

Been thinking about this also and been playing around with a regular antenna on an old TV downstairs which gets 32 channels I think.

The problem is, no TV guide so you don't know what's on plus a couple of channels that the wife likes (Food network and game show) are not on, nor is Velocity that I watch. (Those channels keep showing the same thing over and over and over anyway) We never watch movies so we don't need any movie channels.
I wish there was a TV guide for the regular antenna TV.

Next door neighbor said his wife set up something called Roku, anyone know how that works?

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
How is the tv reception in your area. I installed a nice big antenna for my Mom with a rotator and she is getting 12 channels now. Mom was getting one before and it was fuzzy. Saves a bunch of money. Get Netflix if want more shows. I have a antenna also up in my attic and with the digital channels now it comes In perfect. Even in Montana!

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
I wish there was a TV guide for the regular antenna TV.
My new Samsung TV has a TV guide for local stations. I believe the information is embedded in the over-the-air TV signal. I'm not sure how far out it goes, but it's showing at least 2-3 hours worth

·
Super Moderator
1966 Chevelle SS396
8,281 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts