Team Chevelle banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have a corrosion problem with many of my electrical connections especially under the hood where they have been exposed to the elements for the past 36 years. What I have been doing is to pull the connection a part and then attempt best I can to clean it using sand paper or scotch pads. I then reassemble using an electrical grease I purchased for light bulb replacement.

I also have a rust problem with the fuse holders in my fuse box. I beleive caused from a leaking windsheild (previous owner-now fixed correctly)

My Questions are, is there a better way to clean these connections (some type of liquid cleaner)? And is the light bulb grease what I should be using for reassembly? Anything to desolve the rust on the fuse holder prongs?

Thanks in advance Bill

·
Premium Member
5,068 Posts
I have used stuff called "Lectric cleaner" I think the E really is supposed to not be in the name, but I can't recall for sure.

It's a tall blue colored aresol can. Worked really good for fuse block and hard to reach terminals.

As usuall. Baking soda and water works really well on the batteyr terminal type corrosion/fungus.

------------------
71' 3880# with me. Big Block 402, Merlin oval heads, 10.2:1CR, TH400, 3.73 posi,
1/8th: 8.0 @ 88mph
BEST 60': 1.85 w/street tires.
BEST 1/4: 12.5 with 1.89 sixty foot (street tires)
BEST MPH: 109mph

Picture of me roasting the tires and other guy stuff
Video of me staging (smoke of course)

·
Premium Member
17,803 Posts
Pulling the terminals apart and cleaning them with a wire brush, emory cloth, etc is best. I still use a contact cleaner in some cases ( like the terminal block at the firewall ). It just says electrical contact cleaner and is mainly trichlorethylyne ( nasty carcinogen).

I greased up some of my earlier connections and I'm not sure that I should have. I'd rather an expert pipe up on that.

------------------
Gene
Gold Member 62/ACES 3112
67 SS 427

[This message has been edited by 427L88 (edited 04-05-2002).]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts