Team Chevelle banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Neighbor says, "you gotta go with 33 spline axles, you'l break the 28's". I'm doing the 10 bolt 8.2 and the only axles I see to buy for this are 28 spline. Of course my neighbor is an expert on everything, all you have to do is pick the topic, know what I mean? Anyway, I could use some more wisdom as I plan to make purchases for all new rearend components this week. Thanks!

·
Registered
149 Posts
It's going to depend on how you use the rear. If it's a street car only with regular radials, don't worry about it. If you plan on running some sticky radials or slicks, then you should definately think about an upgrade. If you upgrade, make sure and use c clip eliminators if you have them now.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
There are no 33 spline axles for the 8.2. Your nieghbor is nuts. You can get 33 spline axles for the 12 bolt and the 8.5 10 bolt, but you must use a spool with the 8.5. You can use a Detroit Locker, Eaton posi or some other differentials with 33 spline axles in the 12 bolt. You are limited to the 28 spline axles in the 8.2 10 bolt.

·
Registered
13,362 Posts
Freddie (BGH) above, is 100% on the money. Nothing but 28 spline axles are available for the 10bolt rear. Most likely the reason is because the 10bolt has no desireability for serious performance. When someone wants a serious rear, they usually swap out their 10bolt for a 12bolt, and then do upgrades to the 12bolt.
There are some upgrades available for the 10bolt, such as aftermarket posi units, but not much. Properly built with a good posi added, a 10bolt is a surprisingly stron rear. When properly built, few SBs will break a 10bolt--------------------you have to try hard.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.