Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got into a conversation at a weekly cruise Friday night about warmed up operating temps and engine wear with a guy whom I dont know well and he told me that the cooler the engine is when fully warmed up can wear the engine extreemly fast and should be at least 180 degrees to get the long life out of it. I am concerened because my big block runs at 160 degrees almost all the time. That is the thermostat that is in the car now, and it runs there most the time. If this is true am I looking at only 25,000 miles out of this or is he just mis informed. Shed some light.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
I was told by a loooong time drag racer and engine builder that 160deg was too cold and 180-190 was the best place to be. At 160 the oil can be washed of the cylinder walls. I run a 180 stat but still get uneasy when the temp get near 200.

------------------
Pat Kelley
66 & 67 El Caminos

·
Registered
283 Posts
The difference between 180 and 160 is nominal and I doubt it could take 75K miles of the life. 180-190 is best per GM. However I think if I could keep my BB at 160 it would just add to my "****eaten" grin.
Harley

·
Registered
29 Posts
hi,
I think it would depend on the type of engine oil in use.Some types of oil have optimum lubricating temperature that is different from others.And this would depend on the oil temp.Not the coolant temp.but then, when you cool the engine block with coolant, the oil would be cooled also.I read that the NASCAR boys pre-heat their oil to 180 before firing.After starting they control oil temp. by controlling oil flow through the oil cooler.In other words,if your oil is too cold it won't lubricate properly.Too hot and it may break down quicker.30 degrees of oil temp.can make a lot of difference in wear over 10 years. good luck tony

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.