Team Chevelle banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was working on my Firebird today, stripped out the engine compartment to clean it up and repaint it real quick after all the bodywork. Then I decided to pull the valve covers, and run them over the buffer to clean up the chrome. Pulled off the first one, and saw this. :eek:

I swiped my finger across it, and water came out of those bubbles you see. Then I went back and checked the head side, and the oil and head are clean. I guess running the car for only a couple minutes at a time for a couple of years isn't good for it. :noway: :clonk: Here's a shot of the head side. Note the clean oil. Thank goodness. Anyone else have this problem before?

·
In Memoriam
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
29,419 Posts
Have a working PCV?

·
Gold Founding Member
10,970 Posts
I had that crap all the time in the winter when my primary transportation was an '80 Honda Civic. (No PCV valve--just a tiny orifice for crankcase ventilation.)

Eventually the valve cover rusted out from the inside. Very hateful.

·
Premium Member
6,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have a working PCV?
Actually, I did, Tom, but when I swapped in the Demon 850, I didn't have a place to hook it up anymore, so I just left the hose off until I could address it. I do like to have pcv on my engines, with a breather on the other side, keeps the vapors off the valve covers. Guess I'll have to address it sooner than later. I think the main culprit was me just moving the car around, never warming it up for the past couple of years. :yes: It's just a new one on me, never saw that one before.

·
In Memoriam
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
29,419 Posts
>>just moving the car around, never warming it up for the past couple of years<<
perzackly and all that. that deal is really hard on a car.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts