Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Particularly with the passing of our friend, Skip, I'm having difficulty getting good information on specific finishes for my under-the-hood resto. I know of the article under Restos authored by Skip, but I would like more detailed information on specific parts (even though I'm not aiming to have a complete Concours car).

Can anyone recommend a good source of info for my '70 SS? There must be something out there, otherwise, how would one ever become a judge?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

------------------
Stan Hanek
'70 SS - 396 4 sp.
[email protected]

·
Registered
368 Posts
I refer to "1970-1972 Undercarriage Detailing" from October '92 issue of "The Chevelle Report" (NCOA Publication). I've tried to e-mail scans to others but have been unsuccessful. Anyone know whether this article is posted anywhere?

[This message has been edited by Fred Aldrich (edited 01-26-99).]

·
Registered
13,036 Posts
Hey Stan! If you're not going concours, then I would go with a semi-gloss black like the GM restoration paint. Most car shows I've gone to the judges or the people don't care if the firewall is 60 degree gloss, and the fenderwells 40 degree gloss, etc. As long as you're happy with the finish thats all that should count. Probably the best way to show off under the hood is some contrast, like the hood hinges being dark grey phosphate, and the relays and such nice and gold cad plated etc.
Just my .02!!

Dave.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fred/Dave, what I'm after isn't the grades of gloss black - I'm not that picky. An example might be the wiper motor/pump assembly. It's usually described as being painted gloss black, but the whole thing shouldn't be black. The originals I've seen show motor (cylindrical part) as cast or greyish, while the upper part of the housing looks to be silver cad, with the plastic cover and middle part of the unit being black. I don't know if I'm making sense, but that the type of detail I'm after. And is the coil bracket black like the coil, or silver, etc.

Fred, if your article has that type of info I'd gladly pay for your time to copy/fax it to me!!

------------------
Stan Hanek
'70 SS - 396 4 sp.
[email protected]

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
The coil bracket is natural silver, the best all around match for GM satin black is,krylon #1613 sprays even and sticks to (almost) any surface, these detail items are shown pretty well in the chevelle picture guide, published by motor books int. L89SEDAN

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, L89Sedan. I have that book and it generally seems to be pretty good, however, it also shows a black alternator fan on that gorgeous, blue LS6 ... The "Bible" on Chevelles which I'm looking for may not exist.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Stan, U kinda have to take them all with a grain of salt, when in doubt, post it here, and someone will have the answer, I had a hell of a time with my 300 dlx post L89 cause there werent any pictues xcept the few in the picture book , I got alot of the answers from guys memorys on Chevelle tech, Skip was one of the best minds and memory for details I have ever met, damn we are gunna miss his wisdom, also u can go to NCOA web site and found out who the platnum winner for the 70 class was last year and contact that person or call Chuck Hanson Team Chevelle Pres, he also is quite a wiz with the hard to find answers, and he doesnt mind sharing, Good Luck L89SEDAN

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.