Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My compressor had a bad day a few weeks ago (got smashed between 2 cars), and I'm looking for a new one. The old one was a 3 HP portable and was OK for small jobs. I'm looking to do some more extensive work and was wanting some opinions on what you folks are using. I want to be able to use normal air tools and also paint with it. Do I also need an automatic oiler, water trap, etc???Thanks in advance.

------------------
Jake
Member#354
66El Camino(In progress)
64 Malibu
Stafford County, VA

·
Administrator
16,194 Posts
Jake, I'm using a 6 hp, 60 gal vertical tank, single stage Campbell Hausefield and so far it does well. It runs all my air tools, even the DA sander. I live at 7000' so performance is less than lower elevations. I bought it at Home Depot 2 years ago for around $350.

------------------
Philip Valentine
Lakeside, AZ
Team Chevelle Member #42 GOLD
[email protected]

·
Registered
174 Posts
i have the a portable one from ears, 5.5 hp and a 30 gallon tank works great but havn't tried painting with it i doubt if i could paint a car without stopping everyonce in a while for more air, the air ratchet on 100 psi works great and has never failed, impact too.

------------------
OWNER OF 66 CHEVELLE MALIBU

Check out page dedicated to resto of my chevelle. still being made.
www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Shop/9801/
Team Chevelle # 424
Canadian Classics Chevelles and Beaumonts #393

·
Registered
42 Posts
I just purchased the 6/60 Campbell Hausefield from Post Tool here in Calif. $397.00. No oiler, or electrical plug. BTW its 240 volts.
So with wire , block valve, fittings and regulator/water knockout I've got about $500.00 in it.
Its a good unit, not real loud either.

------------------
Lynn Robinson
Pacheco, Calif.
64 Malibu SS, 71 Camaro SS
"Just Hit the Ball and Touch em All"
Team Chevelle Member #246

[This message has been edited by Coach (edited 10-22-99).]

·
Registered
934 Posts
Painting a car doesn't take that much out of your air compressor. Now sandblasting...that requires alot of air. As does a good bit of air tools like impact wrenches, sanders, etc. They like alot of air too.

In this case, bigger is better. Get the most you can afford.

------------------
Bob (Pa.)

1963 Impala 283
1966 Chevelle SS 409
1969 Malibu 307
1972 Malibu 307
1969 Chevy stepside 350

Bob's 409 Chevy Page

silverstone.fortunecity.com/tvr/246/bob_s_409_chevy_page_index.html

·
Registered
994 Posts
If you do a lot of work with an air sander or painting then a two stage air compressor is best. However, you can get by with a single stage by reducing the length of time you stay 'on the air'. The two stage has a quicker recovery than a single. Sanders die out quicker w/single stage. I have an 80gal single that works quite well due to the large capacity.
Auto oiler...NO-NO-NO!!! Especially if you plan on painting. Oil will get in the air lines. Oil your tools not the line.
Painting...Air drier & water trap will be needed. I mounted mine at the compressor. You'll always have minor air leaks. Install a Gate Valve on the compressor to prevent it from going off & on all the time while your away. It's not good for the tank to expand & contract from empty to full all the time. It'll still leak-down even if you flip the power off.

Simply shuting it off won't work because air will always leak

------------------
Lowered '67 Elcamino
ZZ430 eng / 4L60E trans
"Canyon Carver"

Susp: Neg. Roll

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.