Team Chevelle banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a fresh battery in the 71 and did some pre-start test. I wanted to make sure the mini starter was good to go. I noticed the clutch locking on the A/C compressor with the key off? Kind of odd. I removed the wire to the compressor and you can hear a relay clicking each time you put the cable on the battery. I haven't had time to break out the wiring diagram yet and trace the circuit. This was not a problem before the engine swap, kind of a puzzler??

------------------
www.muncie4speed.com
Gold 67
A.C.E.S. 5602
M.C.C. 559
1967 Malibu, 2nd owner.
1971 Malibu, new rat is in. It's the details that take the time!
There is nothing like rowing through the gears at 7500. Stick cars are so much fun they should be a controlled substance!

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
Wally

This is a feature unique to 71. There are two relays under the dash between the glove box and the firewall. They work together to apply power to the compressor clutch for a few seconds after turning off the engine. The load was intended to help kill the engine. Engine run-on or dieseling was a problem on the detuned early smog engines starting in 71. 72 and later used an idle solenoid. If a 71 had an automatic trans and no A/C it may of had an idle soleniod, I don't know for sure.

If the clutch stays energized you have a problem. You can remove the relays and install a single jumper for normal operation of the compressor clutch.

[This message has been edited by Elree Colby (edited 12-18-2002).]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Car is a factory air car with a TH350 trans. It had a 307 2B and we put the rat in it's place. I'll test her tonite for A/C clutch release after a few seconds. Thanks for the info.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.