Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember hearing that i can use early model camaro spindles on my velle. What would exactly have to be done. Do i need to grind the ball joint or will the camaro joint work? Will it lower the car and will i run into any problems thanks guys I appreciate the help…

------------------
1970 chevelle
406 - TH-350 - soon to be 411's
engine
Interior
"When life hands you lemons, ask for a bottle of tequila and salt."

·
Premium Member
3,437 Posts
First gen camaro (67-69) spindles bolt right up to the chevelle, they are exactly the same. You just have to use your chevelle steering arms because camaros are rear steer and chevelles are front steer, but it is an easy swap. The later 70-81 camaro or 75-79 nova spindles are the taller ones that need mods to use.

------------------
Dave
70 chevelle ss396 conv
66 chevelle ss396 hdp/conv
72 chevelle
55/57/61 chevies
TC member #493
Never forget Earnhardt!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Do you think the taller spindles would be better for the geometry of the front end. I see there are tall spindles for sale in the after market, which state a better handling and riding car...

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have been wondering about that for a while. Will it drop the car any? With it affect the launch of the car? Will it help or hurt or would it be the same?

------------------
1970 chevelle
406 - TH-350 - soon to be 411's
engine
Interior
"When life hands you lemons, ask for a bottle of tequila and salt."

·
Premium Member
3,437 Posts
The taller spindle setup is used with aftermarket upper control arms to change the front end geometry a bit for better handling. I havent tried it, as none of my chevelles are corner burners, but if you are looking for better handling it may be what you want. Check out the brakes/suspension forum and do a search, there are plenty of guys who have done the swap and they can tell you if the ride height is changed, what is needed for the conversion, and if the change was worth it.

------------------
Dave
70 chevelle ss396 conv
66 chevelle ss396 hdp/conv
72 chevelle
55/57/61 chevies
TC member #493
Never forget Earnhardt!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.