Team Chevelle banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentlemen, I have owned 3 chevelles, and it is my pleasure to still have 2. I am often asked if my car came with boxed lower control arms, limited slip differential and rear anti-sway bar, and I have answered that these were available on Chevelle SS 396, but were extra cost add ons. Once or twice I have suggested that some of the cars with slightly higher price tags such as the Judge or some Ram Air GTO's or possibly 400 or 455 cid Cutlass 442's had it standard. Then, I got to thinking "Did I really know what the heck I was talking about?" Did these cousin cars and the Buick GSX come with some of the premium packages standard, or were they extra cost items? R.B.

·
Premium Member
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Pardon me, I just realized that I may have inadvertently insulted or alienated many fine Chevelle guys. Let me clarify. In London, Ontario, in 1969 and 1970 these other GM stablemates tended to cost a few bucks more than Chevelle, as did identically equipped Camaros, simply because Camaro was a pony car. Don't know how they were priced elsewhere. Maybe I was misled. I was merely seeking information. Perhaps a better way of doing this woud be to ask what equipment came standard on the awesome 1970 LS 6 car. Also, what came on those others that I mentioned. Please believe me, "No offence intended." R. B.

·
Premium Member
5,886 Posts
Hi Rod. I'll try to give you what my memory of the sixties will allow.

Chevelle - I beilieve the first year of the rear sway bar was 1969 with the F41 suspension. In 1970 the rear bar was standard on all SS's.

Buick - Don't really know.

GTO - I believe the first year the rear sway bar was available was in 1970.

442 - I "think" the rear bar was available from year one, namely 1964.

Hopefully somebody else can confirm how bad my senility really is :confused: :)

·
Premium Member
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Don, you know what they say about remembering the 60's. Trying to clarify if they were extra cost or standard. R. B. ( Boy do I need to see that rear antenna. )

1 - 5 of 5 Posts