Team Chevelle banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found one of them broken when I took my valve cover off. The rest of it was in my oil pump screen. Anyone else ever have this happen on a big block?

I'm about to yank the motor out AGAIN and sell it on ebay!! I've been chasing down an oil leak/consumption problem for years. (the motor was completly rebuilt about 4yrs ago when I got the car,only has about 10k on it) I recently changed the rear main with one of those profit seals, used all the recommended sealants for the main cap, put on a new one piece oil pan gasket with rtv in the corners, replaced a casting plug behind the cam that was leaking and used the indian head sealer on the edges and there still looks like there's a leak somewhere in the rear of the motor. I'm about to give up:mad:

Then the CC seal. I'm about to replace all the valve stem seals now because of that. AHHHHHH!!!!! Crate motor here I come!!

Now that I've vented, is it possible that oil could be slipping past the valve stem seals in small enough quanities that I wouldn't notice it out the exhaust but enough that it would use a pint or so in 50 miles? Would out of adjustment valves cause an engine to use oil?

·
Super Moderator
13,359 Posts
Mark,

Make sure that the valve spring retainer is not hitting the top of the seal. This is one thing that a lot of guys fail to check when they go to a larger camshaft. Take one of the springs off, replace the retainer and locks and pull it up as far as it will go. Then measure the distance from the bottom of the retainer to the top of the seal. It needs to be at least .050" more than your valve lift, I prefer .100"

As far as your other oil leak goes, get some leak finding die from your local parts store, and buy or borrow an ultraviolet light so you can see the die. Oil leaks can be very hard to find, especially if the oil is clean. It could be leaking at the front of the engine and blowing all the way to the back when you drive the car. The die will make it show up.

·
Premium Member
9,525 Posts
Did you check the valve stem play on the stem with the broken seal? I had teflon seals on brand new heads 1 year and only a couple thousand miles 6 out of 8 ex. seals broken and valve guides shot side play was measured with a ruler not a mike:boxing:

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Did you check the valve stem play on the stem with the broken seal? I had teflon seals on brand new heads 1 year and only a couple thousand miles 6 out of 8 ex. seals broken and valve guides shot side play was measured with a ruler not a mike:boxing:
And im glad you posted that in another thread. Aren't the comp seals the same as the recommended Viton seals which do let a little oil past to lube the valves??

·
Premium Member
9,525 Posts
If they are then I have another source when I need to get them. Still waiting for Dart to send new guides.

·
Premium Member
4,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just to follow up, I replaced all the seals today with sealed power valve seals. ALL the Comp Cams seals were either cracked or on 2 of the intakes, the entire top was missing. No wonder it used oil:sad:

Bill, I would have measured as you recommended but I have nothing to do it with. I replaced a seal earlier with the same sealed power seal and when I checked it, it looked all right so I think all should be good to go. (I hope!!)

Thanks to all for the advice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts