Team Chevelle banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To preface this, I did not build this engine, so I am researching stuff the best I can. it is a 350, bored +30, 10.1 compression, etc. It DOES run great and plenty of power, BUT I have some intermittent valve train noise, much like a mis-adjusted rocker arm.
I knew the engine had roller rockers, so I pulled a valve cover to inspect. I am not sure of the heads but they have the following the following cast(iron heads) in them:
W NH S/R 1-052

The roller rockers are Comp Cams 1104 1.5 ratio 3/8 nuts (locking)
Push rods are Magnum 7372

However what is troubling me is that the heads have pressed in studs without any guide plates. I thought most all roller rockers need guide plates? Could this be a source of the noise coming and going? If so, which would be best to do, replace the rockers with stanped roller tip or? Replace the heads with a aftermarket head?

I have read alot of the posts on here and know there are some pretty astute moter heads, so chime in guys and THANKS for the help!:(

·
In Memoriam
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
29,419 Posts
lay a straight edge across the top of the studs (means pulling the rockers) any high ones will be easily visible.

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Roller rockers don't "require" guide plates, any more than any other kind would.

Rockers do need to be guided somehow though. There are 3 common systems: the push rod holes in the heads fitting tight to the push rods (factory in nearly all motors up to 87), the "self-aligning" rockers the factory used from 87-up, or guide plates. One AND ONLY ONE system must be in effect at all times.

Sounds like World S/R or S/R Torquer heads. I thought those all came with screw-in studs & guide plates? Maybe not.

1104 is 7/16" studs 1.5 ratio. http://www.compcams.com/technical/Catalogs/106-07/271.pdf If that's the number on them, then it doesn't lie.

I've never seen or heard of press-in 7/16" studs for a small block. Something doesn't pass the smell test here.

I would SURELY not take off over $400 worth of Comp's top-of-the-line roller rockers and put stamped garbage on, for a little noise. This is what you've got http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=CCA-1104-16 Sounds like a little more research, maybe a pic, is in order.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies so far. I again checked the numbers and they are correct. I also took some photos. Now let me see if I can get one to post, maybe that will help.
BTW, I checked the World SR head tech page and they state that all heads come with screw in studs. Now I am really confused!

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
karfever, I work for World Products and I can research this out for you if you would like. Just send me all the numbers off the heads and e-mail at [email protected] and I'll see what I come up with.
Gary

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
kar, I will look into tomorrow at work Gary

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
karfever i checked with a couple of oldtimers at work and you have screw in studs. those early heads used studs that are similar to press in studs but are in fact screw in studs. your heads never came with guide plates nor do the new heads. anyelse i can do just let me know gary

·
Premium Member
13,105 Posts
To preface this, I did not build this engine, so I am researching stuff the best I can. it is a 350, bored +30, 10.1 compression, etc. It DOES run great and plenty of power, BUT I have some intermittent valve train noise, much like a mis-adjusted rocker arm.
I knew the engine had roller rockers, so I pulled a valve cover to inspect. I am not sure of the heads but they have the following the following cast(iron heads) in them:
W NH S/R 1-052

The roller rockers are Comp Cams 1104 1.5 ratio 3/8 nuts (locking)
Push rods are Magnum 7372

However what is troubling me is that the heads have pressed in studs without any guide plates. I thought most all roller rockers need guide plates? Could this be a source of the noise coming and going? If so, which would be best to do, replace the rockers with stanped roller tip or? Replace the heads with a aftermarket head?

I have read alot of the posts on here and know there are some pretty astute moter heads, so chime in guys and THANKS for the help!:(
=
If you are sure of the rocker part number you have the wrong rockers on the heads for your studs
You have 7/16" rockers on 3/8" studs.

The SR heads do not use guide plates, they have a "guided hole" in the head just like a stock GM head.

I was not aware that the first heads came with the cheap "repair studs" with no nut,,, learn somethin new every day :D

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the help and information guys. The studs measure 7/16 and the rockers fit correctly. Anyway the issue centered around some adjustment issues. I used the EOIC method, (first time doing so), and the noise is 80% gone. Just a slight bit of mechnical noise which I attribute to the roller rockers in general. I am a happy camper again!:hurray:

·
Premium Member
13,105 Posts
Thanks for all the help and information guys. The studs measure 7/16 and the rockers fit correctly. Anyway the issue centered around some adjustment issues. I used the EOIC method, (first time doing so), and the noise is 80% gone. Just a slight bit of mechnical noise which I attribute to the roller rockers in general. I am a happy camper again!:hurray:
=
Ok, I will bite
How do you get 3/8" adjusting nuts to fit a 7/16" stud :confused:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My calibrated eyeball, traceable to the NIST (NOT!!!) says you have 3/8" poly0locks, 3/8" studs, and rockers with 7/16" holes through the trunnions. ;) That'll make some noise, no matter how it's adjusted.

That may be true, and if it is.... would you suggest replacing the studs with 7/16? :confused:

·
In Memoriam
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
29,419 Posts
no, you would have to replace the rocker studs, no fun if the heads are not machined for them.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts