Team Chevelle banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had ordered a comp cam kit (cam,springs,gears and chain,retainers,locks,valve seals) for my spare 402 i have in the garage on the engine stand.The kit came in and I inspected the cam.Looking over it I saw Pits in some of the bearing jernals,The 1st lifter lobe (behind the mech fuel pump lobe had a crack 1/4" diagonially across the top of the high point of it,most of the other lobes were "off-set" at the casting seems on both sides.All the lobe sides had extremely sharp jagged edges enough to cut your finger if you if you pull across them.I'm sending it back tuesday.Comp told me they will inspect it upon arrival and more than likely replace it.I asked them to open,inspect the replacement before shipping the new on.So far,so good.I'll keep everyone posted.Where's the quaility control dept. at?

· Registered
10,919 Posts

· In Memoriam
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
25,548 Posts
CC retail box stuff, is it really any better than any generic or china junk?

· Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Now I wish I had pics to share but I don't.Shipped it back today.But yeah,retail counter boxed stuff.I'm sure there a some pics from others showing a match to what I had.This site has really educated me by others problems and what to look for,including the proper break-in procedure and products (spectro oil,GM EOS,Wix/Napa gold filter,etc THANKS Scott W.).The only reason I am doing this build is for the spare 402 I have.Got a great deal on it.Short block is near complete ( less this stuff).I'm Picking up the 049 heads from the machine shop tomorrow (with new everything,stainless valves,guides,seals,cam matching springs,retainers,locks,etc.)This will be a mild street engine (.510 lift).Thinking my way through this slowly and carefully to eliminate future problems.I know most of you would say "Roller cam and lifter assembly if it were me"Yes I agree,I have those in other engines I built in my other cars.Hyd. will be fine for this if it's done right IMHO.If the new one is bad,then i'm demanding a steel one custom cut to the 270H specs.

· Registered
9,084 Posts
Howard,good catch,that why i always rec inspecting cam/lobes/lifters/etc prior to install.

That cracked lobe would have failed and you would have been SOL if you didnt catch it prior to install.

I have had quality control issues with 2 of the last 3 flat tappet cam installs i have done in olving comp cams which was chipped edgedes on lifters along with deep scratches in lifter faces which comp made good on & a crane cam with a very minor ding on a lobe and ding on a cam journal both of which 1 was able to correct using crocus cloth to smooth out. To be safe i also showed my machinest the 2 minor dings in crane cam before and after i used the crocus cloth to smooth out the minor ding and he said it would be fine. That cam had a successfull breakin & approx 6k miles were put on the motor/car prior to the car being sold after that.

Scott

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.