Team Chevelle banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, about a year ago i switched from a column shifter to a Hurst Dual/Gate two shifter. The previous owner of my car never bothered to fix the starter switch so i had been using a remote starter under the dash to start the car. So i ran a make-shift Neutral Safety Switch by running the wires between the remote starter and the switch that comes with the shifter so that the circuit would only be complete when the shifter was in Park position.

Then my dash wires went up in smoke and i decided to fix the starter switch so that i could turn it the car on with the key. I eliminated the switch under the dash and the switch on the shifter serves no funtion now (the switch is a push-type thing like the ones that they sell at any parts store.).

Now that i finally got a 350 in the car, i want to take it out to the track in a couple of months to compare the times to what i got with the 305 in it. In order to run at the track in need an NSS and i have no idea how to wire it so it only turns over in Park and Neutral (i could live with Park only). If i use the existing switch on the Hurst, it will keep it from turning on in any position except Park. But i dont know how to wire it, whether or not the switch provided by Hurst is up to the challenge of daily starting, or what guage wires to use if i have to wire it myself.

the only idiea i have is to go down to Santa Fe Springs and buy the harness from the guys at www.wiringharness.com for the stock floor shifted cars and modify it to work with the Hurst shifter's switch but i have no idea if it could be modified to work.

anybody have any ideas?

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Originally posted by Slowpoke70:
If i use the existing switch on the Hurst, it will keep it from turning on in any position except Park. But i dont know how to wire it, whether or not the switch provided by Hurst is up to the challenge of daily starting, or what guage wires to use if i have to wire it myself.
Can't answer if the switch is quality or not. 12 gage is the wire size you need. One leg to the ignition switch, the other to the "S" terminal on the solenoid.

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hehe, maybe i should take the car in to get those done. But since I'm curious anyway, how exactly would I go about doing this?

So do i have to splice into the existing harness or will this just go in conjunction with the existing wires?

Sorry John, but you know I'm not good with this wiring stuff, what I've done was easy, pull off old wire then plug in new one, LOL. :D

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
One wire runs up to the ignition switch. The second wire runs into the fuseblock/bulkhead connector area. It runs down to the solenoid from there.
I don't know how good the aftermarket switch is. If it looks like junk you can use a 30 amp relay mounted on the firewall and use the Hurst switch to switch the relay. I'll link into a picture of the 30 amp relay (towards bottom) so perhaps you can see.
Locate the 2 wires on the original NSS.
Disconnect battery.
Solder the 2 original NSS wires together.
Wire it up the same way shown in the 30 amp relay circuit expect put your Hurst switch in line 86. The Hurst switch become the new NSS.
http://www.novaresource.org/starter.htm

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry for my ignorance, but are 30A relays readily available at auto parts stores? or maybe hardware stores? I've kind of learned enough about circuits to trust myself to build the one i need, i just need to know where to get the relay. Ah, i bet B&K Electric probably sells them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts