Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 70' chevelle with the original bench seat and column shifter with a 350 trans. I was wondering if any one knows what's involved in changing to an automatic floor console? I have most of the console parts ready to install (shifter, console, linkage cable, and all trans. brackets). Is there any thing else I need? Can any one give me advice on how to install it?

Thanks in advance!
Kit

·
Registered
313 Posts
I am doing this on my 67. The assembly manual is very helpful with diagrams showing all the parts and how they go in. Make sure you mount the brackets to your console and either tack weld them while attached to the console or make sure they DO NOT move one fraction of an inch prior to welding. I just marked off the bracket locations for mine prior to welding and they ended up a little off, requiring me to drill more holes in the plastic compartment to match up the mounting screws.
jmw

G

·
I just completed the changeover in my 72 ragtop, there are 2 wiring harnesses; one for the console itself (lights,neutral safety,reverse)' and one that attaches to the existing harness. Most of the bosses for locating are in the floorboard already, just take time to check everything before you drill or weld.

·
Registered
174 Posts
not too hard really, just get some buckets if you are gonna use the consol. find where the hole for the cable should be drill a hole for it both it all up, have jack stands or ramps because you will have to change some connections under the tranny like cable linkage and such. Remember to hook up the reverse and neutral switches up after. i am still setting the switches up. havn't tried to because car isn't allowed on road yet and have more important things todo. they are important but not when only driving in and out of a garage.

------------------
OWNER OF 66 CHEVELLE MALIBU

Check out page dedicated to resto of my chevelle. still being made.
www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Shop/9801/

Canadian Classics Chevelles and Beaumonts #393

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.