Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey gang-

I just installed a new crate engine in the Chevelle, and have a weird trans issue. The TH350 was rebuilt while the engine was out of the car, new converter etc. It's a 1970 small block / TH350 Column Shift Malibu.

I'm 99% sure everything is back together correctly. I put the trans in park and column in park - put the shift rod back in the shifter "horseshoe" on the trans. The shifter rotates the shift horseshoe counter-clockwise to all gear shift locations. Park, runs and idles - shift to:
Reverse = Nothing
Drive + nothing
2nd (L2) = Nothing
1st (L1) = Car shifts into reverse

Did I put the shifter together backwards? How can it be in park though? Weird.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Any pictures to see what you have? That does sound strange that you didn't get reverse until the shift lever was all the way down to L1. Sounds like you've either got a lot of slop in the linkage or the geometry is way off. Can you feel the transmission detents for each position - PRNDL2L1 as you move it through its range? Hopefully it's not a problem with the rebuild.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yup, I have verified the shifter on the trans rotates counter clockwise to each position with the column shifter. I’m thinking it’s a valve body issue

1 - 4 of 4 Posts