Team Chevelle banner

Column shifter or Ratcher shifter

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive got a 1971 chevelle that was originally a 350 malibu, bench seat, column shifter. i have kept the stock flat hood, dropped in a nasty 454 motor, th400, and 12 bolt rear, kept the flat black primer paint, and redid the entire jade green interior. i still have the bench seat and the column. its a daily driver but i plan on taking it to the track on occasion. do you think i should put a ratchet shifter on the floor, or keep it a sleeper with the column shifter and bench, thanks jason

·
Registered
14,618 Posts
Heck im trying to decide the same on my el camino. Keep the column, install the mega shifter, or install the console. Jim

·
Registered
5,972 Posts
You know someone really oughta come out with a mechanism to allow you to use the column shifter in the same manner as a race shifter.....you know, not let the shifter go to more than 1 gear between shift changes.....as well as have a reverse lock out.....

If you're worried about over revving the engine in the case of a sudden accidental neutral shift wouldn't an MSD 6AL with a rpm pill be of cheap insurance?

·
Registered
927 Posts
Personally I hate ratchet type shifters. I think they are tacky. If you want to go with a non factory floor shifter, I recommend the B&M Pro Stick, it's fun, fast, and accurate. With a little creativity, you could probably make it work with the stock console.

I bought a Pro Stick, for the day that I ever swapped my bench for buckets, but never made it that far... Now I'm going with a T56, so I won't need it for now...

I currently have a column shift in my 68, and my 71 also had one. So after about 10 years of column shift goodness, I can honestly say that I have never missed a shift, or thrown it in neutral, whether on the street, or at the drag strip... But my Dad did put it in neutral once when going for 3rd at the strip.

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
Jason in my opinion leave it column shift (sleeper) be different. I have had quite a few cars with factory turbo 400's. The goal is to get the governor and converter right and you don't need to manually shift. When set up properly they will upshift at redline, and will downshift to what ever gear is about 200 rpm shy of redline for a split second and then burn tires on the up shift be it 2nd or 3rd. You should have total control of the gear selection by throttle pressure. Why touch anything (except) for the little lady. The Million Dollar (Barret Jackson) World Record Holder LS6 was a columm shift car......worked for them......:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I rode in a car that had a racket type column shift. I don't know where the guy got it. He said him and his dad made it. I don't believe him. It was a total sleeper 80's Impala or Caprice. It had 4 doors and all, it did kick ass with a small block and a column shift with full manual vavle body. I watched him run it through the gears a lot. It definately had something in there, he couldn't have faked it that good. Later Man

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
I've got a healthy 454, th400 trans, 12 bolt etc and I still have the bench seat and column shifter and won't trade it for anything short of an m-22! In fact, i was recently looking at an m-22 and if I do decide to go with one, I will still keep it a bench seat!

And whoever mentioned the governor and torque converter is right. I spent a weekend adjusting my governor and now it is perfect, it'll shift right at 6000 and kickdown just enough to just about chirp the tires:hurray:

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
its really a matter of choice, what you want-the biggest problem with a bench and floor shift, the shifter has to be pretty far forward
years ago, there was a guy that ran fastest street car races, with a col. shifter-he had a setup that locked out neut. during the race-as said, you can set up the tranny to shift at a certain rpm in drive
my newest project, blown gen. 3 engine, is col. shift/bench
if it were bucket seats, then i would prob. go with a rachet shifter

·
Registered
5,531 Posts
you can make a neutral safety from a foldover gate lock (laspe?) and a bolt kind of tacky but it works
I and my friends used a column shifters for many years without any problems smoothe operation and no cables to stretch or go bad

·
Registered
100 Posts
I vote for the column shifter!!!

Jason in my opinion leave it column shift (sleeper) be different. I have had quite a few cars with factory turbo 400's. The goal is to get the governor and converter right and you don't need to manually shift. When set up properly they will upshift at redline, and will downshift to what ever gear is about 200 rpm shy of redline for a split second and then burn tires on the up shift be it 2nd or 3rd. You should have total control of the gear selection by throttle pressure. Why touch anything (except) for the little lady. The Million Dollar (Barret Jackson) World Record Holder LS6 was a columm shift car......worked for them......:thumbsup:
There is a bunch of info on this if you do a search.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts