Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just what are the collectors on headers suppose to do? I just had new exhausts put on and the guy at the muffler place said to cut them off and weld them directly to the 3" pipes i had put it. I did. He says this will eliminate the need to replace the collector gaskets all the time. I was wondering because my exhaust is awful loud in the car. Did i make a mistake?

·
Super Moderator
12,782 Posts
Bowler,
I think the part you are referring to is actually the "flange". The collector is the large, usually 3 inch or so, tube that the 4 smaller primary tubes go into. cutting off the flange and welding directly to the collector is the way to go as far as leak free performance, as long as you dont need to remove anything in the future. As far as the noise goes, if you have never had 3 inch exhaust before, well, enough said. It is way too loud for my taste except for a race only type vehicle.
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

·
Registered
548 Posts
I dont know why hedder flange gaskets need replacing so often mine have been in place for 3yrs still fine.Last set on my old 78 4x4 out lasted the hedders.Welding?What if you need the remove one for some reason,I would rather unbolt, than cut and reweld...FRED

·
Gold Founding Member
1,348 Posts
In addition to making it easy to replace exhaust the collector flange was there so the exhaust could be unbolted for dragstrip use MIKE

·
Premium Member
6,218 Posts
I tried out a set of collector gaskets (I forgot who made them, duh...) made with a steel shell, and a high temp packing, wrapped around the perimeter of the hole, on my 71 C/10, and they're great. Haven't had a problem yet. I know Earl's makes the same type of gasket for the header-to-head, and I need to get a set of those. I've had more trouble blowing out #8's gasket than any other. I haven't had much problem after finding some lockwashers for the header bolts, but I'm still waiting... I've removed the collector gasket twice on the pass. side, to pull the header out for inspection of the flange, put it back with the same collector gasket, and it doesn't leak yet. Only downside, if there is any, is the price. Paid $25 for the pair, but seem to be well worth it, as they've been on the truck for 1 1/2 years, no problems. I swear by them now, put them on when I do custom exhausts for my friends (mandrel bent, cut/fit/weld systems). Darren

·
Lifetime Founding Member
767 Posts
A Company named Percys makes a metal collector gasket. It will be the last set you will ever buy. If you do, somehow manage to blow one out, I believe they are guaranteed for life.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Felpro also makes a very good collector gasket, the part # is 2001. I have had a set of these on my 68 Chev pickup for the last year and have not had any trouble. This is my daily driver also, so it sees lots of miles. I belive they cost about $10 for a pair. They have the steel reinforcement and are not at all like the flimsy Mr. Gasket paper ones.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.