Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well.....bad news. My Dads 383 with a retro roller camshaft and lifters had three collapsed lifters.

Anyone want to take a stab at common reasons lifters collapse?

BTW.... I had bought a entire valvetrain kit when building this 383 for my Dad. Everything was Luanti. Cam, lifters, springs, timing chain, keepers, retainers, and etc.

·
Premium Member
11,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would do that, but not sure I know how to take them apart or do I have the tools to do so.

·
Super Moderator
13,133 Posts
Well.....bad news. My Dads 383 with a retro roller camshaft and lifters had three collapsed lifters.

Anyone want to take a stab at common reasons lifters collapse?

Aaron,
Describe what you are calling a collapsed lifter ? Usually the only thing that will keep a hydraulic lifter from holding pressure is dirt.

·
Premium Member
11,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Aaron,
Describe what you are calling a collapsed lifter ? Usually the only thing that will keep a hydraulic lifter from holding pressure is dirt.
Bill, I would say Im not sure at this point. I actually have not seen the lifters. My Dad has the car back on the road already. He had a knowledgeable mechanic replace them with a set of Morels.

I dont think its a dirt issue because the engine has less than 10,000 miles on it and the oil has been changed 4 times already. Dad runs the Valvoline 20w 50 VR1 racing oil.

What are reasons for a collapsed lifter?

Im thinking this is a issue of not hold pressure and allowing the pushrod to slide down into the lifter and rocker acting like it has backed off. This started out as thinking it was just a rocker that backed off. Turned into thinking a lifter or two was bad.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
I was under the impression that the retro rollers were Morel lifters. I'm using the retro rollers from Howards and they are Morel's so hopefully won't collapse on me.

If these lifters did that to me I would cut off the link bar so I could take those suckers apart.

"Can't be done" is not part of my vocabulary Bill. :)

·
Premium Member
7,226 Posts
If these lifters did that to me I would cut off the link bar so I could take those suckers apart.

"Can't be done" is not part of my vocabulary Bill. :)
How do you put em back together? :secret:

·
Premium Member
1968 Malibu sport coupe, 489 ci. 590 hp 600 tq, RV T-400 Freakshow 3200 stall, 3.73 12 bolt posi
8,657 Posts
Could the 20w50 too thick?, I had a 340 duster in the late 70's and was using 20/50 race oil, fairly large Erson hft cam, speed pro pistons and some other stuff, after about 3K I had some smoking and another problem I can't remember but a good mechanic told me I was using too heavy of oil, again that was a long time ago.

·
Premium Member
11,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Could the 20w50 too thick?, I had a 340 duster in the late 70's and was using 20/50 race oil, fairly large Erson hft cam, speed pro pistons and some other stuff, after about 3K I had some smoking and another problem I can't remember but a good mechanic told me I was using too heavy of oil, again that was a long time ago.
Its what the builder suggested. The engine has larger clearances.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts