Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone make a bolt in collapsable steering column for my 66? The ridgid design doesn't seem too cool anymore for safety reasons

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
Not that I know of, you might be able to retofit some other column. If you feel that unsafe try a roll bar with a 5pt harness. Maybe someone else will chime in for a answer.

------------------
Undee's70SS

·
Premium Member
680 Posts
Try calling the larger wrecking yards around the country. I found mine in Tx. It is from a early 70 GM van or pickup. Looks almot like the orginal. Has collapsible column. These are set up (automatic column shift) for the 350 3 speed.

Roy
65 El Camino 355ci 700r4 4 wheel disk brakes
Team Chevelle Member #74

·
Registered
177 Posts
bfhamr,
Believe it or not I have a steering shaft out of a 67' which I believe is the first year of the collapable steering column. If you want it shoot me an e-mail lets deal.

------------------
Tom Donaldson
71' GMC Sprint

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
Recently I swap my 66 non-tilted for a tilted version I bought from someone. The tilted version is collapsible and has no ignition key. I do not know what car/year it came from.

I had to change the mounting point under the dash. The tilted column has the big bracket and 2 rails to hold it (all collapsible columns have) that will not fit the 66 dash. Furthermore the outside diameter of the tilted column (at the dash mounting point) is some 3/16 larger than the OD of the old column. I adjusted the new column by sawing ( http://www.si.hhs.nl/~rob/images/scanned/371d_ass_tlt_col.jpg ) the outer shaft, shrinking the sawed part and welded it back in.

Rob

------------------
www.si.hhs.nl/~rob

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.