Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone made and/or seen a cold air box setup that pulls air from the cowl? I remember seeing something about this in Tech, but was unable to find it with my search. I have a '70 Chevelle and would like to use one. Any thoughts? Good idea / Bad idea? Any problems, such as rain? As always -- thanks! David

------------------
'70 Chevelle
Rogers, AR

·
Registered
106 Posts
Drove around a couple of years ago with a pyrometer & a water pressure gage on different spots on my 68. Found that the coolest place to pick up air was at the base of the windshield. This turned out to be even cooler than in front of the grill. As an added bonus at about 60 mph the water pressure gage read about 3" of pressure! then i put some water on the windshield & drove it again. I noticced that the water in the center of the windshield up to about 1 foot high, never moved! I believe there is a big ball of relatively high pressure cool air that sits there just waiting to be ingested by the engine! But then i got a blower & decided it was worth more than the cold/ram air idea so i never tried it!

·
Registered
155 Posts
After the 454 goes into the Monte, I'm going to do a cowl fed cold air system. While the engine is out I'll poke the holes in the firewall and seal up between the two layers of sheetmetal. I'm planning on using one of those air cleaners from that Canadian outfit.

------------------
Dale P.
65 El Camino
72 Monte Carlo
"..you did you take the washer off, right?"

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.