Chevelles.com banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm beginning to wonder about Coker Tire company. I placed a $1240 order for a full set of tires and wheels on July 3. My card was debited on July 8. My order status is "Approved and Charged". After waiting some days, I sent an email on July 17 asking about the order. Got a reply on July 21, "Your order is set to be mounted and balanced today and should ship out by end of business today as well." Waited a few more days, sent another email on July 30 asking about the status. On August 4 I got this, "The last update was in error. We had a inventory discrepancy in our warehouse. So, your back order will be extended. I am working on an updated ETA for you with my purchasing department and I will let your know as soon as I receive this update."
So now it's August 14 and still nothing, no communication. I am wondering if I should forget about them and cancel the order. I wouldn't mind the wait except they already got their money and I got nothing after two months. Are they always this bad about filling orders?

·
Registered
1971 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu
7,172 Posts
Not tires but my wife just ordered all new appliances for the kitchen, we're having the same problem getting them. It's all because of this Covid crap. Even if we order something from Amazon normally it always came early not anymore.

·
Premium Member
15,864 Posts
yup likely supply chain disruption.

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
Agree, probably supply chain issues.
But IMO the vendor, Coker or Amazon or who ever, should be more communicative. If there's a delivery issue, let the customer know what's going on. And personally, I hate being charged for a product that's on back order. Charge me when the item ships and I'll probably be a return customer.
JMO

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
I was going to stay quiet, so as not to vendor bash, but I just went through a situation last month where I had to return THREE Coker tires to get a good set of four for the car. All three had significant defects. The "good" set that is on the car now seems to be fine. All four balanced OK, and drive fine, but man.... what a hassle!

Tires were purchased through Jegs, and I cannot say enough good things about how they dealt with the returns / exchanges until I finally got a good set. Excellent customer service!

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
When I went to get my tires balanced by one of the best garages around. They Road force balance and shave the rubber to make the tires perfect. One of the first things the tech said to me was," we do NOT do anything from Coker period".. I said I like myself too much to put that crap on my cars...

Those tires are defects. I heard they are pressed in molds that have been worn out. Don't know if this is true but there are lots of unhappy Coker tire owners out there.. Cokers answer is put a tube in it LOL....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They are supposed to mount and balance before shipping, so hopefully balance WON'T be an issue. What does grind my gears is charging me before shipping the product. The thought that nags at me (and I suppose there's no way to know) is are they about to go under financially due to all the crap that's been going on....waiting is not a problem if I can feel confident they are going to come through. The free mounting/balancing and free shipping is what caused me to buy from them. The lack of proactive communication is not a good sign, I think.

·
Premium Member
4,160 Posts
They are supposed to mount and balance before shipping, so hopefully balance WON'T be an issue. What does grind my gears is charging me before shipping the product. The thought that nags at me (and I suppose there's no way to know) is are they about to go under financially due to all the crap that's been going on....waiting is not a problem if I can feel confident they are going to come through. The free mounting/balancing and free shipping is what caused me to buy from them. The lack of proactive communication is not a good sign, I think.
They're probably waiting for someone else to return defective tires so they can send them to you.

They got 3 from Novadude, just waiting on one more.

Get your money back and go elsewhere.

·
Premium Member
6,881 Posts
Last time I looked there was no advantage to buying direct from Coker. I’d buy from Summit or Jegs who are more up on their inventory levels and shipping dates. I’m sure they are far easier to deal with than Coker.

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
When I went to get my tires balanced by one of the best garages around. They Road force balance and shave the rubber to make the tires perfect. One of the first things the tech said to me was," we do NOT do anything from Coker period".. I said I like myself too much to put that crap on my cars...

Those tires are defects. I heard they are pressed in molds that have been worn out. Don't know if this is true but there are lots of unhappy Coker tire owners out there.. Cokers answer is put a tube in it LOL....
So I had mine road force balanced (once I finally got a good set), and 3-out-of-4 came in low (like less than 15 lbs road force). One of the others was questionable (forget the exact number, but somewhere around 25-30 lbs). After what I went through to get a set with no visible defects, I wasn't about to send it back.

Tires did need a good bit of weight to balance, but not terrible (two weights on each wheel - one front, one back, but all are 2-3oz weights). Some of that could be the 50 yr old wheels. I put the high road force tire on the right rear. I've had the car up to 90 mph and no vibes at any speed, so I'm happy (I guess?).

Here's the surprising thing though... these are the new Wide Oval radials just released in 2017, so the molds are all new. Per DOT codes, tires are made in Western Pennsylvania. I guess I expected them to be a little more like modern radial quality for the price. They do look great and ride nice though, but it was a month long process to get there with all the returns / exchanges.

We are running out of options for 14" wheels. BFG radial T/A quality is crap now that they've moved production to Mexico (go search all the comments about brown letters that won't come white again), and I don't care for the sidewall design on the Cooper Cobra. I will say that in my research, the Coopers are by far the best bang-for-buck in white letter 14" tires. You seldom see any complaints about these, unlike Coker or BFG.

Hope no one sees this as vendor bashing... just relating my experience.

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
Diamond back can remove all the side wall markings and make the tires look like the old tires of the sixties... They also check them out before selling them to you, so they go through all the trouble of finding the smooth riding tires..

I'm glad to hear your tires ended up working out, those tires are so beautiful! I would love to have a set but the price is too expensive. I go through tires like toothpicks with the twisty but fun roads we have here...

·
Registered
11,961 Posts
I was going to stay quiet, so as not to vendor bash, but I just went through a situation last month where I had to return THREE Coker tires to get a good set of four for the car. All three had significant defects. The "good" set that is on the car now seems to be fine. All four balanced OK, and drive fine, but man.... what a hassle!

Tires were purchased through Jegs, and I cannot say enough good things about how they dealt with the returns / exchanges until I finally got a good set. Excellent customer service!
Same issue with Summit re Weld draglites/M/T had a few bad ones they were great about it

everything is slow to ship....ordered a bedliner for the bodyshop month and a half ago..just showed up a few days ago. Thank god it was in nice shape driver says most look like hell and get sent back.

·
Premium Member
3,386 Posts
Not tires but my wife just ordered all new appliances for the kitchen, we're having the same problem getting them. It's all because of this Covid crap. Even if we order something from Amazon normally it always came early not anymore.
yup likely supply chain disruption.
Supply issues are just going to get worse due to this virus BS. In construction and we are facing delays of HVAC and Electrical equipment that is unbelievable. Have several projects at local hospital that the manufacturer of roof top units are telling us that they can't build the units because they can't get parts to build them with. Also they keep shutting down their assembly line in California due to no workers available. Have electrical panels that we can't install because they are made in Mexico and have been held up in customs for several months now, can't bring across the border. Standard on the shelf fans made by Watts that used to be a shelf item are now a 12 week order item. Did get a notice of delivery for one roof top unit for early December. Project is supposed to be completed next week. Have reached retirement age several years ago but enjoyed working building stuff, really thinking about retiring now instead of putting up with this as it will just get worse before getting better.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Same issue with Summit re Weld draglites/M/T had a few bad ones they were great about it

everything is slow to ship....ordered a bedliner for the bodyshop month and a half ago..just showed up a few days ago. Thank god it was in nice shape driver says most look like hell and get sent back.
i to have noticed summit is getting slow on there shipping

·
Registered
861 Posts
I wish i had gone with Cooper's, i ended up with BFG's. I was doing a rim and tire swap on my Camaro, going from 17's to 15's, i sort of decided on 2 sizes, and only BFG had both, and then i went ahead and changed up the front tire size, and of course, after i already had the rears, and then of course those 2 sizes were available in Coopers as well. Would have saved probably about $200, and i would probably have 4 tires with white letters, instead of 3 with white letters, and 1 with brown letters.

·
Premium Member
4,795 Posts
I have been a BFG man since Belted T/A's! Never again, for raised white letter tires I'll buy Cooper Cobras for as long as they sell them.

Reactions: Johnny Bravo
1 - 18 of 18 Posts