Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i would like to lower my 66 El Camino.it has the stock coil springs in front and back.the bottom of the springs has a smaller hole that fits on the spring guide.should i cut "with a saws all" the top part of the ciols,and about how much does cutting a ciol lower an elky?

·
Registered
368 Posts
Cutting one coil will drop the car about 2 1/4" more or less. On 64-67, you cannot cut less than or more than one coil, the spring will not seat properly in the A arm or the frame but you can cut either end, they're identical. Saws-all won't cut a spring, too hard. Use a air grinder and cut-off wheel. Many guys make a big deal about keeping the spring cool so as not to draw temper. However, cut end sees virtually no stress so if its softened a bit by the cutting operation, then it's no big deal.

------------------
Fred Aldrich
Web Site: www.GeoCities.com/~69_chevelle

W

·
0 Posts
I cut new front springs on the front of my 67, put her so low it wiped out two sets of Hooker headers, but I like the look and won't change it. Look out for speed bumps!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
they've been cutting springs since springs have been invented, cut directly below the end of spring ( one coil) put coil in bucket of cold water, I used a cut off air saw no elec. it lowered my front 1 3/4 inches no problems, or you can get a 2" lowered spindle kit more expensive. I have headers and deep pan, can drive anywhere. advertised lowering springs you'll end up with a higher stance, because usually your springs are worn out, and the new springs are going to be higher cause there new, even if there advertised as lower. it's a hit or miss situation.

·
Registered
166 Posts
While we're on the topic of cutting springs, is there anyway i can take a coil or two outta my rear springs? My car sits WAY to high in the back and I am going to be running 17" low-pro tires, so it'll look real bad with the rear all jacked up. from what i see, it doesn't appear you can cut the rear springs on a 68-72 chevelle, because they taper in wards on both ends. could a spring shop cut them and then re-taper the ends? I have a few extra sets of rear springs that i can play around with, do you think it's worth a shot? thanks...

------------------
Ian McDermott
1970 Chevelle SS 396
Columbia University
New York, NY.
E-mail: [email protected]
Web page: chevelle.dhs.org
ICQ UIN: 3923441

·
Registered
80 Posts
Elc66, you could certainly try putting clamps on your springs. They don't cost much and, if you don't like 'em, you can toss 'em. However, expect your car to ride a bit rougher with clamps on the coils.

And I agree with prstreet. If your coil springs are original (and 30 or so years old), they're already going to be sagging quite a bit, so take that into consideration if you plan to buy new springs

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the help guys.i think i'll try having the springs cut.talk to you all later.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Havoc, above asked the question I have; Can you cut a coil out of the rear springs - in my case it is a 69 El Camino.

And wouldn't you need to change the shocks out with a shorter travel to keep things from bottoming out?

John

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.