Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I want to raise the entire body of my '67 SS one inch at each corner to get the profile/stance I'm looking for...ya know, sorta that old-school Starsky & Hutch Torino look (below). I've seen '67 SS's with that stance in the past, and it looks plain awesome imho. It's stock height now.

After a bit of research, it seems new coil springs might be the best bet but have no idea exactly what to get or even where to get them. Seems the 'cool' thing is lowering these days, not raising. The choices seem to be:

a) Spring spacers
b) Air shocks
c) Air lift system
d) New springs

Springs seem like the most straightforward, reliable, and cost-effective way to go?

Anyone done this and recommend a brand/part #'s for the coils that'd work? I've seen some online that are 'factory height' rated (eg. Moog), then reviewers say the springs lifted the car 2 to 4 inches which doesn't make sense (??).

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
First, you have to know the stance you have right now. Your springs may have sagged or may not be like stock ones.

That is why some people install «factory height» springs and have the surprise of a raised stance. Maybe not 4", but 2" might be possible.

For some true stock dimensions for a 67, see p. 44 of this document.

Selecting the proper springs for your liking is the best solution. The easiest way being finding a car like yours, with the stance you like, and the owner knows exactly the springs he installed.

Spacers might do the trick (the one placed on top or bottom, not in between coils), if they are correctly designed and strong enough. I'm not a big fan of this solution, especially to correct old sagging springs.

Putting an air suspension is the most flexible as the ride is fully adjustable. But then there is the price tag, which would be more than buying a few set of springs and going by trial and error.

I would stay away from air shock, air bags are preferred. It will open up your choice of shocks. But even using air bags for a one-time ride adjustment is not the intended use.

·
Vendor
1,485 Posts
Like mentioned above you need to know your current stance -vs- factory.

When you are trying to achieve a particular stance and you are finicky about it coil springs can be a nightmare!

Many of our customers go the coil-over route after several attempts and wasted money trying different coil springs.

the coil-over set-up can normally adjust ride height from around or above "factory" height to 3" lower. You have a few options for springs rates so you aren't at the mercy of the manufacture choosing the rate like in the case of most coil springs.

The up front cost of coil-overs may be a little more $$ but like many people you could end up spending the same amount trying to achieve that perfect ride height with coil springs.

Craig

·
Registered
6,201 Posts
Mark here are Pics of my 67 with the Stock type stance when it had old Coil Type Springs,
do not know if they were Stock or what type Springs
#s were
Front Height of Car – Ground to Middle of Chrome on Hood = 31” to 32”
- Driver Side Ground to Middle of Chrome Fender Lip 27.5”
- Passenger Side Ground to Middle of Chrome Fender Lip 27”
Rear Height of Car – Ground to Middle of Chrome on Trunk = 33”
- Driver Side Ground to Middle of Chrome under Fender Lip 26"
- Passenger Side Ground to Middle of Chrome under Fender Lip 25”

After installing Front Viking DA Shock Coil Over System and UMI Perf Tubular Control Arms
Front Height of Car – Driver Side/Passenger Sides Ground to Underside at Middle of Chrome Fender Lip 25”
After installing New Moog Rear Coil Stock Height Springs # 5385
Rear Height of Car – Driver Side/Passenger Sides Ground to Underside at Middle of Chrome under Fender Lip 26"

A big NOTE if you raise the Rear of the car to much you will get Wheel Hop

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks to all who responded. Very helpful. Here's a pic of how mine looks today. I know others may say it looks fine, but I believe 1" up all around will give it the stance I have in mind.

Getting the whole drivetrain replace very soon. Fresh crate 396, TH-400 and Moser/Chevy 12-bolt posi. The 396 will have aluminum heads, so I better wait before doing anything to the suspension.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
I would defiantly wait until all the work is done.. Coil spring ride height adjustment can be a nightmare! I'm with everybody else, you know what you have now.. You could cut a 1/4 of the ring off the front springs but I wouldn't cut more then that, the spring gets too stiff..

Keep in mind, when raising the rear end, you take away handling and make the car unstable..

·
Registered
6,201 Posts
Mark that is one beautiful 67

I like the current stance on it JMHO

1 - 7 of 7 Posts