Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My HEI coil in cap is bad. I want to use an external coil. I bought a Crane HEI kit that allows the use of external coil. It is just a wire that attaches where the coil button was to the external coil.

My question is on grounding the coil. I assume I can just hook up the +12 volt wire that went to the coil in the cap to the external coil. There was no coil ground wire. Is it OK to gound the coil to the firewall or the block? What is the best way to wire this? Thanks for your help. Steve

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
No ground wire needed. External coil gets +12v on the + terminal and signal from HEI or points to the - terminal that is a pulsed ground.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tahnks for the quick response. Can anyone help me identify the pulsed ground wire from the distributor? I assume it is part of the HEI harness.

Thanks

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok. I have the main wire hooked up from the external coil to the cap.

I have the +12v wire hooked to the positive terminal on the external coil. Can anyone tell me which wire to run from the HEI to the negative terminal on the external coil? Thanks much for your help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts