Team Chevelle banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi fellas,
I'm re-wiring the starter/ignition on my 66 SS-396 engine compartment. My question is; what is the condenser mounted on the coil bracket used for? Is it for attenuate RF noise from the radio? Secondly, is it hooked up to the positive or negative side of ignition coil?. I started to wire the coil like this but then stopped as I don't want to do any damage. I feel the proper wiring for coil to be as follows. If I'm wrong I would appreciate your help. Pos side - run wire combo for ignition/ starter connection pink/white Also condenser wire from coil bracket mounted condenser. Neg side - distr wire to dist and points. Is this correct for standard point ignition?
Thanks,
Doug

·
Premium Member
4,478 Posts
Hi fellas,
I'm re-wiring the starter/ignition on my 66 SS-396 engine compartment. My question is; what is the condenser mounted on the coil bracket used for? Is it for attenuate RF noise from the radio? Secondly, is it hooked up to the positive or negative side of ignition coil?. I started to wire the coil like this but then stopped as I don't want to do any damage. I feel the proper wiring for coil to be as follows. If I'm wrong I would appreciate your help. Pos side - run wire combo for ignition/ starter connection pink/white Also condenser wire from coil bracket mounted condenser. Neg side - distr wire to dist and points. Is this correct for standard point ignition?
Thanks,
Doug
You are correct, the capacitor (or condensor) on the coil bracket suppresses RFI (radio frequency interference). You only need it if you are running a radio or doing a correct resto. It's pigtail connects to the (+) side of the coil along with the fabric looking wire (resistance wire) and the wire from the "R" terminal of the starter solenoid.

The negative side of the coil has a wire that leads into the distributor for the breaker points. If you have a tach, it's signal wire will also connect to the coil negative.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
Hi fellas,
Thanks,
Doug
Joe is right again (You're good Joe LOL). The condenser is actually a bypass capacitor in shunt. In English it passes the high frequency stuff like alternator whine through the capacitor to ground by way of the capacitor case which is grounded to the coil. In other words the capacitor passes the RF noise (AC) to ground but blocks the DC preventing a dc short to ground. Very clever device invented by a guy name Faraday which is why they are rated in microfarads.

No one ever named anything after me, LOL
Chuck

1 - 3 of 3 Posts