Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all; In swapping my 402 into my 66 I notice that the clutch z bar will hit the oil fitting when I pull the clutch pedal all the way up.Actually it stops it from going all the way.This was a small block car and as far as I know the Z bar is unmodified. Is their another location to hook up oil pressure sending line? or can I modify the Z bar and still have good clutch pedal action? I notice there is little plugs along driverside just above oilpan rail. Can these be used for oil pressure lines? Is this a common problem on 66 BB or do I need a different Z bar? Sorry for the long post. Thanks Tony

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
Not sure if this will help, but I used this on my 67 Chevelle. Edelbrock makes a 90 degree adapter, from 1/4 pipe to 1/8 pipe, unfortunatly I don't know the part number. It is a compact piece that will allow the oil pressure line come out at almost any angle, depending on when you stop tightening the fitting.

Steve R.

·
Registered
137 Posts
If I remember correctly, on my friend's 427, there was a fitting for the oil pressure line on the back of the block, behind the intake, and under the distributor. If you're running a mechanical gauge, it should fit right in this hole.

------------------
Nick
Proud owner of a 66 Malibu -
355, four speed, 3.08 pegleg

14.94 @ 93.75 (Needs work, I know)

<A HREF="http://www.public.iastate.edu/~amcarthu" TARGET=_blank>
Andy and Nick's Muscle Car Half-way House</A>

·
Premium Member
2,658 Posts
Tony, depending on which BB you have there is either 1 or 2 holes above the oil filter. On 4-bolt blocks there is a large plug in one hole for use of an external oil cooler and/or filter originating in Can Am racing. The small hole is for the oil sending unit. 2-bolt block only have the one hole. There is supposed to be a 45 degree brass fitting at the block to which either a sending unit or oil line attaches to. As steve says, that can be turned any direction you need it.

Nick's part is probably the best solution.
------------------
"Details Make the Difference"
Musclecar Restoration and Design

[This message has been edited by Rick_Nelson (edited 04-25-2001).]

·
Premium Member
17,557 Posts
Tony,
I had the same problem on a 66 Chevelle. I don't know if the Z-bar is much different for a BB, but mine hit, even with the correct fitting in the block.

I made a mark on the Z-bar, where the oil line would come straight out. I had a hole cut (actually "C" shaped cut out of the z-bar), then had a piece of ~1/4 inch steel (matching the thickness of the z-bar) welded along the opposite side to replace the sectional thickness of the z-bar.

I have a pretty stiff clutch, and lots of abuse, and have yet to see any problems with the z-bar. The extra piece was shaped and smoothed so it looks nice, even though its hidden in the car...

I have it out of the car, so I can try to take some photos if you'd like...

·
Premium Member
19,960 Posts
I know a lot of folks don't like them, but I use a simple straight adapter and nylon tubing from the top of the oil filter although a copper line would work as well. Since my oil gauge is now electric and the sender would not clear anything, I run a nylon tube up to an adapter that the gauge sender screws into.

I've also seen on another 67 (Lon Szabo's gorgeous Granada gold w/black vinyl top) with a big block, an oil line on the front driver's side just above the fan. Lo and behold, there is a pipe plug there - never knew that to be an oil fitting.

------------------
Dale McIntosh
TC Gold #92
ACES #1709
www.dalesplace.com
Restore it or customize it, but drive it and enjoy it!

·
Gold Founding Member
462 Posts
I may be wrong but, i think the BB Z bar is not the same as SB. The BB arm is shaped to miss the oil line.

------------------
CFR.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Yes, the Z-Bar is different for a big block. On a small block the arm is straight, for a big block it is curved to miss the oil line.
Check some of the parts catalogues, they show different part numbers for each.

------------------
Bob Murray 66 Malibu
Greenfield, Indiana (Indianapolis)
http://www.chevelles.com/showroom/bobm_SC1
TC Gold #49
Aces #01941
NCOA #20838

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the responses guys. I can see this is a common problem that shouldn't be too hard to solve.I will check out the difference between a BB and SB zbar and go from there. Thanks again. Tony

·
Premium Member
19,960 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bob M:
Yes, the Z-Bar is different for a big block. On a small block the arm is straight, for a big block it is curved to miss the oil line.
Check some of the parts catalogues, they show different part numbers for each.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Never had a small block Chevelle. Didn't know that tidbit - thanks guys.

------------------
Dale McIntosh
TC Gold #92
ACES #1709
www.dalesplace.com
Restore it or customize it, but drive it and enjoy it!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Another little interesting snippet...

Earlier this year, my bellcrank gave up the ghost. The metal literally split along the cylinder part that holds the grease. It broke near where the upper arm is welded to, and just split. (Happened when I was going to the parts store....suddenly my clutch petal is on the floor, and my clutch won't disengage...
)

Anyway, I ordered a new piece from our sponsor GU, and they sent me the BB Z-bar by mistake. I didn't really think to line them up to see if there was a difference or not, but the BB piece works mint on my SB car now. But I do plan on having Rat power by the end of the summer...

------------------
Nick
Proud owner of a 66 Malibu -
355, four speed, 3.08 pegleg

14.94 @ 93.75 (Needs work, I know)

<A HREF="http://www.public.iastate.edu/~amcarthu" TARGET=_blank>
Andy and Nick's Muscle Car Half-way House</A>

·
Registered
13,123 Posts
Yes Dale, there is a Santa Clause (and a different Z-bar for pre-68 SBs).

------------------
Tom Parsons

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.