Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After pulling the muncie twice and checking everything twice, i finally decided since no-one could pinpoint the problem i would go with my feelings that i had bought a bad HAYS
clutch,,, YEP, Its a dream to drive now.
HAYS refuses to make the clutch good so Buyer Beware, it cost me 300 bucks + time and aggrivation to figure it out, BUY A CENTERFORCE and you will be pleased, I AM

Here is a link to the last post about this clutch problem http://www.chevelles.com/forum/Forum23/HTML/004203.html

Later Darryl, & thanks for the ideas!!!!

------------------

$$$$ How Fast Do You Want To Go??? $$$$

·
Gold Founding Member
462 Posts
Sorry I never seen your other post about your problem,but I too had all kinds of problems with the Hays,infact 2 Hays clutchs. I went to Centerforce after the 2ed bad Hays,and never had anymore problems. Been 2 years.

------------------
CFR.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Darryl. Glad to hear you are doing some sea trials on that bad boy. How is the family ? Hope all is well. GBU.Shawn

------------------

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BLURAT, How have you ben doing? Havent seen you on the board in a while....

I have your parts ready to ship but havent gotten to Augusta GA to fed-ex to ship, will verry soon, if you get to the point you need them just shoot me an email and i get off my butt and make the trip....

Later Darryl

·
Premium Member
1,116 Posts
Darryl-

Been following your original post....I too have been experiencing severe clutch chatter, or a "bucking bronco" situation with my 72 Chevelle SS, equipped with a ZZ502 BBC and Hays 11" diaphragm clutch. All NEW parts, all installed correctly. Some old posts gave me an indication of some possible causes, none of which I could trace as the source. I almost ordered a Centerforce Dual-Friction clutch when getting parts for the car, chose Hays instead because I used one back in the 80's. Thanks for posting your results, at least I know that another clutch unit may solve my similar problem.

------------------
Gregg Haskin
72 Chevelle SS
ZZ502 Crated RAT
Muncie M-20 4 speed
TEAM CHEVELLE #726
ACES #4486
“What the heck are all these extra nuts & bolts for?”

Pictures of 72 Chevelle Resto: http://www.wcvt.com/~ghaskin

·
Premium Member
2,156 Posts
Yep, count me in as another Hayes to Centerforce convert. Hayes went bad after 1 year and always seemed to chatter. Centerforce works much better and seems to have more grip too!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Darryl,

Glad to hear that you were able to figure out the problem with the chattering clutch. I too have the same problem with my 454/T-10 combo. So, I think I will switch to the Centerforce this winter when I'm back from school.

I was wondering which Centerforce unit you went with, the Dual Friction or the Centerforce I? It looks like the Dual Friction is the heavier duty unit. Thanks.

Dave

------------------
David White
1970 Chevelle 454, T-10 4speed, 4.10 12-bolt posi
1993 S-10 Blazer 4.3L 4x4

·
Premium Member
1,116 Posts
Darryl-

To add to Dave's question, what kind of differences in pedal pressure does the CF clutch have over the Hays? That's the main reason I didn't order the CF to begin with, I assumed (big mistake
)that I needed light pedal pressure for the Mrs.

------------------
Gregg Haskin
72 Chevelle SS
ZZ502 Crated RAT
Muncie M-20 4 speed
TEAM CHEVELLE #726
ACES #4486

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I used the centerforce duel friction and its 100% better, Lighter pedal with a better bite and the driveability is amazingly better, never thought a clutch made that much differance until i had them in back to back.
I have no idea what the Hays problem was but it was a severe one to say the least, they wont have to deal with me any more, cause i will never buy another HAYS, Good luck to all you guys with clutch problems and i hope that your end result turns out to be a good one.
Still P!SSES me off that it cost me $$$ to find out a good clutch from a bad one
Later Darryl

·
Registered
23 Posts
Wow, I'm glad you got it fixed up. I've had my Hays in for 9 yrs now without a problem, I guess I got lucky. But based on this many people having problems, my next clutch will be CF!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Darryl,

Thanks for letting us know it was a Dual Friction unit. I was also wondering about the pedal pressure and it's nice to see it's less. I have a Borg & Beck style Hays clutch and it definitely has more pressure than my old Diaphram style clutch.

But it sounds like the Centerforce has better grip, no chatter, and lighter pedal pressure. Sounds like a good switch.

Dave

·
Premium Member
1,116 Posts
Guys-

Now I'm going to ask the question: What actually solved the problem in changing from Hays to Centerforce.... clamping pressure? Curious why some users of Hays haven't had this problem, while others solved it with a switch to C.F. What are your opinions as to the actual problem with Hays equipment.....

------------------
Gregg Haskin
72 Chevelle SS
ZZ502 Crated RAT
Muncie M-20 4 speed
TEAM CHEVELLE #726 ACES #4486
"PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN!"

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
i think the hays is a all or nothing clutch that needs a very LOW first gear or rear gear, i've noticed the people with the lower gear rears and or m20's have less problem, im borderline and have dealt with it, but after hearing what a clutch SHOULD be like im about to dump this set-up. now my question is. what all would I have to buy??
i've never messed with a clutch before, and hope it's a "1 day" job and i can do it. what about sizes/splines etc. i do have an M20 if it makes a difference.

------------------
1970 SS396 AKA 454/4spd
My Chev-Hell Page
GOLD Member #783
Ft.Worth, Tx
Big Block Chevy.net
proud owner of this site
(OO=ss=OO)

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
oh, anyone know of an on-line "how to" with pics?? i've never done it nor do i know exactly how it all works together. once i know, im sure i can do it no problem.

------------------
1970 SS396 AKA 454/4spd
My Chev-Hell Page
GOLD Member #783
Ft.Worth, Tx
Big Block Chevy.net
proud owner of this site
(OO=ss=OO)

·
Premium Member
1,116 Posts
Chev-Hell-

I would recommend looking thru a Chilton's repair manual, as the pictures and instructions would guide you into all steps for removal & installation of a new clutch. Most important thing to remember is that when the car is all torn apart, the flywheel should be resurfaced, so a little down time must be factored in. I would call either Jeg's or Summit and talk to their tech line to get the proper Centerforce Dual Friction pressure plate, clutch disc and throwout bearing. One thing you'll need to tell them is the number of input splines on your M-20. My M-20 has 10 splines, but I believe that they can be rebuilt with either coarse or fine splines. Good Luck!

------------------
Gregg Haskin
72 Chevelle SS
ZZ502 Crated RAT
Muncie M-20 4 speed
TEAM CHEVELLE #726 ACES #4486
"PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN!"

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
chev-hell,
if i can help with aything when you do it just email me and i will help you through it.

riskyvt, is correct a chiltons pritty much says it all unless there is problems,

Then scream
TEAM CHEVELLE HELP

riskyvt, I wish i could answer your question of why some do good and others dont, i have had several Hays setups without problems until this Nightmare!!!
But i dont feel too bad Hays Tecs couldnt give me a answer either :d

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.