Team Chevelle banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 69 Chevelle original 4 speed car has some groaning and popping noises in the clutch linkage when I shift. It has a brand new Z-bar link and return spring and seemed to work well for a short time. Let me know if you have any ideas here. Thanks, Mark

· Premium Member
2,871 Posts
This should be an easy fix. Just need to check all pivot connections and make sure they are lubricated. If it was ok before the new Z bar, that’s the first thing to check.

· Registered
1,003 Posts
This should be an easy fix. Just need to check all pivot connections and make sure they are lubricated. If it was ok before the new Z bar, that’s the first thing to check.
The new Zbar may be separating not causing full usage i used to weld a triangle gusset at both ends on aftermarket Z-bars or anything that had a heavy clutch with pedal pressure of course make sure its well lubricated. Alex

· Premium Member
Rochester, New York
2,347 Posts
I would carefully check to make sure the Z parts off of the cylinder are not moving. I had a Z bar that the weld began to separate from the cylinder. Quality control could be an issue.
Yes, yes, yes! I had the welds break on my aftermarket z-bar during use. Fortunately for me I pushed in the pedal to start the car when it broke - not sitting at a busy intersection or even behind another car!

This could be your noise, and maybe not - but please check these welds!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts