Team Chevelle banner

Clutch linkage- broken ball stud in block

2K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Timothy Dixon 
#1 ·
well I have been having clutch problems that came to a head monday when I found the ball stud broken off in block for cross linkage. my problem is getting threads out of block. went thru 17 various bits today and did not make a dent in pc in block. Of course there is nothing to weld on or chip at to try and get it to turn. Gonna need some sort of hardened bit to drill hole for extractor to work/ check out pic. anyone know of GOOD bits?
Thanks Tony
Clarkridge,AR

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
well I have been having clutch problems that came to a head monday when I found the ball stud broken off in block for cross linkage. my problem is getting threads out of block. went thru 17 various bits today and did not make a dent in pc in block. Of course there is nothing to weld on or chip at to try and get it to turn. Gonna need some sort of hardened bit to drill hole for extractor to work/ check out pic. anyone know of GOOD bits?
Thanks Tony
Clarkridge,AR
A way around this might be as follows. There are (were?) bolt on brackets that provided a mounting point for the pivot stud. One of the big performance dealers in Texas (Scogging DIckie?) sold them for use on some BBC's that did not have a pivot mounting boss in the block. Gen 5 BBC's maybe???? Anyway the bracket mounts to the bellhousing and positions the stud in the correct, stock position. Cannot for the life of me recall what the thing is called but it just might be an answer to your situaton.

#4 · (Edited)
#6 ·
Thanks Tony
Clarkridge,AR
Something like this might allow you to blow off the drilling. THis is not exactly what Scoggin Dickey offered but might help ya visualize what I am talking about.

#8 ·
Great Ideas, one more of my problems is getting enough room to center punch bolt. I tried short 16d Nail and a pc of angle iron but that would not leave a mark. not enough power. In worst case I will look into bracket. at lease all is not lost. thanks tony

#9 ·
Try a reverse drill bit of the type mentioned above. May just bite and spin out???

#10 ·
I ordered the Scoggins dickey bracket to make show (watch it rain) but I will try a cobalt bit and I have the reverse bit so If I can get a starter hole I should get lucky (fingers crossed) In any case the members came through again like always with great ideas and help. Thanks all!!! I will let you know how I make out. Tony

#12 ·
That happened to me. The mistake I made was trying to remove the stub with an electric drill set to turn clockwise. It ran the stub all the way through. The stub ended up in the bellhousing. No fun getting it out of there. You need a reverse twist bit. Start with a small size. If you are lucky, the bit will bite into the stub and back it out of the hole.

The likely reason the pivot ball broke in the first place was that it worked itself loose and backed itself out of the mounting hole. When you reassemble, use the highest grade thread locker to make sure the pivot ball stays put. It will be tough if you have to remove the pivot ball. That is a better problem than having your clutch linkage fall apart because the pivot ball broke.

If I had it to do over again, hydraulic may have been a better choice than the OEM set up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.