Chevelles.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced a clutch fork (GM 1964 and up) purchased from Ground Up on my 1969 Chevelle. The original clutch fork worked fine prior to the change. I am not too sure what type of clutch fork I originally had before the change. But the one that I purchased is different. Now the clutch appears to be engaged all the time. I can go through the gears without the clutch engaged. I had to adjust the clutch fork rod to to the max. But that does not help. I don't know what happened? Do I need a longer clutch fork rod? I did not touch the clutch or flywheel. Puzzled... Any suggestions out there?

Thanks

·
Registered
288 Posts
Did you change the throwout bearing as well while in there? Did you possibly change from a long to short bearing or vice versa by accident?

·
Registered
1971 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu
7,200 Posts
Did you mount the throw out bearing on the clutch fork properly.

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
Did you also replace the throw out bearing? There are a few different length ones and you need the correct size to let the system work properly. How much of the rest of the clutch operating assembly was changed?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh yeah... went over it 3 times to make sure I did not do anything stupid. Replaced with the exact bearing.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know its a stupid question but if the original worked fine why replace it?
Hi Jerry

Great question... And I failed to specify in the original post. I had to pull the motor to replace the oil pan an gasket. While everything was out, I decided to detail the engine and trans. While removing the clutch fork pivot bolt the clip snapped on the clutch fork. I was reluctant to change the clutch fork, but did not have any other option since there were no markings on the original. I know you can purchase a clutch for spring and rivet, but have no idea how I would press the replacement rivet in.

I don't know the history on the car.... I bought it in August, so anything goes.

Thanks,

Johh

1 - 8 of 8 Posts