Team Chevelle banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,311 Posts
On my 71 SS cluster lens, I used a razer knife to carefully cut and chip away the melted plastic posts. I had to drill out a couple of the ones that were stubborn. I then use an epoxy called "Plastic Welder" to glue the new lens on the posts. I had to drill a couple holes bigger on my new repro lens to make it fit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,293 Posts
another little trick that worked well for me...i found that using heat to get the old lens off was only partly successful, and some of the posts had to be drilled too.

i used a really small drill bit, nice and slow and easy...i found that the bit would get a nice twisty piece of the plastic material as you drill down. i put all of these little twisties aside, and used them for 'weld rods' when i went to melt the new lens on..this helped a lot and saved me from having to glue it with something else.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
83 Posts
My two cents: I used the soldering iron. Once I placed the new lens on the cluster, I used the soldering iron on the little nibs that stick through the lens (there wasn't much left from removing the lens, but there is a second unused nib). I went straight down and the plastic mushroomed out and around the lens. No glue, no problem.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top