Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Administrator
15,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided to replace my chrome pulleys the other day with billet pulleys. As per my normal mail order luck I ordered the wrong crank pulley. When I was finally ready to put everything back together I found my fan had one blade about to fall off.(It's amazing how bad luck saves the day sometimes
) So now I have decided to go with clutch fan.Has anyone tried the repro fan from O.P.G.? I haven't received my new Year1 catalog yet do they sell one(a fan)? Also the following link is a l78 motor www.mershons.com/view_photo.asp?ID=3607&image=Engine . Shouldn't the alt. be on the front side of the bracket and aren't the temp sending units in the side of the head for 1968 and not on the intake. Thanks for the input.
JeffA.(ACES#841)
68 SS396(454)
68 L78 project

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
Jeff -

Checked my 68SS, the motor was built in Aug of 67. Alternator bracket configuration is identical to the photo. Temp sending unit is in the cylinder head, although this may have differed for aluminum intakes - mine is cast iron (325HP). Hope this helps.

------------------
Rainer
'68 SS396
'70 LS3 400 Malibu
[email protected]

·
Administrator
15,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My manifold, cast number 3933163 is pictured in the "By the numbers 65-69" book as having the hole as the L78 link does but then the book also says that in 68 the temp unit was moved to the cylinder head. Since my manifold is in storage I will have to go check to see if has the sending unit hole drilled and tapped. I love a mystery

Jeff A.(ACE841)
[email protected]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.