Chevelles.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son has been working on a 1970 Chevelle Malibu since his sophomore year in high school when he bought the car; he’s in his last year of college now. So far he’s swapped the old small block with a rebuilt 396, installed a new turbo 400 and 12 bolt rear end with 3:55 gears. These are his words not mine as all I know about cars is what he tells me. He ultimately wants to clone the car to an SS model.

This last year of school has been a little tough on his wallet so I thought I would pitch in and help for his graduation present.

I’ve purchased an interior kit and all exterior parts for him to complete the project and got a painter lined up however, I need a little advice from you folks to make sure I get all the electrical parts he will need.

I ordered a complete dash package with gauges, harness, etcetera ($2,000.00) but I am not sure if he will also need an engine and forward light harness. Unfortunately I can’t ask him without letting the proverbial cat out of the bag. I have about one more semester to finishing collecting the parts before I spring the news on him. Can anybody point me in the right direction?

Thanks for the help

Jake’s Dad

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Not really. All that's missing under the hood for a "correct" hook-up is 2 wires to run the ammmeter.
Congrats on the boy finishing.

·
Registered
86 Posts
One other thing you won't have is the TH400 kickdown connection wire. I bought a kickdown wire harness from OPG and found I had nothing to hook it into since my car wasn't an original TH400 car. I sent it back and I wired the kickdown switch myself instead of swapping the engine harness.

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
Would you be interested in adopting? :D You can get an engine harness for about $100 (I think) and it will have the correct oil and tach wires and connect up to the fuse box I'm assuming you got with your dash harness. Makes a clean install.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts