Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would like to know what cosmetic changes need to be done to clone my 68 malibu to SS? The car was originally 307, now sports a 396 ,original powerglide rebuilt, 69 front disks, and all suspension has been done to hold BB. Just want to know where and what badges and emblems need to be replaced? Do I have to buy a new grill , IM not to concerned about striping, but do I have to drill? All info is greatly appreciated Love the look of the ss!

·
Premium Member
1,746 Posts
1)The grill is painted black(usually).
2)The original grill emblem is removed and replaced with an SS396 emblem.
3)SS hood
4)"SS396" or "396" side markers on front fenders; no other emblems or badges on fenders
5)molding between rear wheel well and rear bumper
6)SS396 emblem in the middle of the rear panel; no other emblems/badges on rear
7)SS396 strip above glove box
8)SS396 emblems on front door panels
9)Area below side molding is usually semi gloss black; so is the area between the molding between the tailights.
10)"SS" or "SS396" emblem on "deluxe" steering wheel
Added to list: Dash bezel and steering column are black, along with the steering wheel, if optional wood one isn't used.

I think that about covers it as far as cosmetics go...theres still the 12 bolt rear, 3/8" gas line, rear suspension braces, etc.

[This message has been edited by Gene McGill (edited 04-21-99).]

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
#10 The "SS" emblem goes on a MALIBU not a deluxe steering wheel. the 300 Deluxe has a completely different steering wheel. Fortunately the malibu is more similar to a SS than a 300 deluxe (duh..300 deluxe = base model). Kind of makes you wonder why they call it a "deluxe"...

If I get another 68 2 door, I would kind of clone it by making it cosmeticaly and, for the most part, mechanicaly correct except I wouldn't put the SS emblems on it. However, I have a 4 door now and I think people would be suspicious of a 4 door SS.

-Joe Y.

[This message has been edited by Joe Y (edited 04-21-99).]

·
Premium Member
1,746 Posts
Someone may correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the 300 Deluxe gets the "standard" steering wheel, while the Malibu and SS get the "Deluxe" steering wheel, or else the optional sport fake wood wheel. My use of "deluxe" was not meant to refer to the 300 Deluxe . Thats really confusing!

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Whoa......Be careful what you say about the 300 Deluxe there Joe.

I'll have you know that there was yet a lower optioned Chevelle badged as simply the "300".

Just wanna make it clear that while I'm low on the option list, I'm not quite at the bottom

Kurt

------------------
The 68 Chevelle info page. [last updated Nov. 30, 98]
www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Garage/6873/Chevelle/68_Chevelle_Info.html
Email: [email protected]
A.C.E.S. #1352

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
Hey, I don't matter what kind of chevelle it is. All it needs to be is a CHEVELLE!

Also Kurt, I love your chevelle, it looks exactly like mine (- 2 doors) and it freaks my friends out cause some of the dents that you have look like mine.

Heck, I'd trade my 4 door malibu for any 300 2 door 68 chevelle. . . well. . . one in equal condition that is.

-Joe Y.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.